We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Greetings,

We are an American family of four looking to invest in real estate on Montserrat. We were there a year ago and loved it. We are, of course, worried about the ash and future volcanic activity, as well as the building standards, materials used to build houses, and the ease in which one can have water hooked up to the house, electricity (underground?), etc. Also, if there are any seimologists, geologists, or others who are experts in volcanoes, I'm wondering if you'd ever consider investing on a lot in Montserrat. Also, if you live in Monserrat, I would like to hear how you like it (and the pros and cons of living there). WE would use the home we build as a second home and rental, and then the place we'd like to retire. We're only in our 40s now though!

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

My father invested in property in Montserrat in the town of Olveston (north of the river) overlooking the caribbean back in the 70's. He has since passed away, so I have inherited the 2 lots. My wife and I went to Montserrat in 1995 to vacation and look at the lots he had purchased. The island is beautiful and we loved the lack of commercialization. I remember at that time it was a safe haven for celebrities, because they could go there and not be bothered by anyone. We have not been able to do anything with the lots (or even go back to visit) because of life getting in the way! (: What was the island like when you were there a year ago? How has the volcano impacted the island? We have been paying taxes on the property for more than a decade now and feel that we probably need to sell them since we don't see ourselves able to use them (we are only in our 30's). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Olveston
Olveston
Montserrat
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Greetings,

I think you are fortunate that you have the lots, but investors (like us) are very cautious because the volcano is spouting a lot of ash and "could blow" at any time. Currently, the people on the island live from about the midline of the island and north. The locals have been living with the volcano forever and seem to have no fear. The ONLY thing holding us back from investing is the reseach and forecasting we are getting from seismologists and volcanologists. Have you ever seen the lots you inherited? Can they be built on and would they have a water view if so? Right now, we are looking at the area of Providence Estates, where Paul McCartney had his estate. The volcano and lack of a good infrastructure has kept many investors away; however, we loved the quiet and beauty of the island and our heartstrings keep pulling us to go back and invest. Head over heart is winning right now, but who knows? We thought of investing in Costa Rica, Abaco (Bahamain island), and Florida, but Monserrat is really want to be! So, if you have an interest in selling, let us know, but note that we are intested in building on sites with clear sea views. :-) maybe...:-)

Elisabeth

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Florida
Florida
Puerto Rico
San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Hi Elisabeth,

Yes, we saw the lots in 1995. They are side by side, about an acre total. They have a clear straight view to the Caribbean Sea and are buildable, that was my father's eventual plan. They are on the west side of Montserrat, but south of Providence in Olveston Estates (in the safe zone). We are interested in selling, but are not sure of the value. We have the original plat map if you would like to see it. Let us know if you would like more information at any point. Happy travelling!

island state
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

We bought a property 4 years ago and decided to live here full time 6 months ago.

Its a fantastic island as are the people and I do not want to be any where else - but

To be quite honest if you are worried by any thing on your list do not come because you will find a whole lot of other stuff, even before hurricanes are mentioned to worry you.

The volcanos still active - last year was quiet this year the old girl is venting ash - on the plus side seeing 5 milloin cubic tons of rock blowing off the top is very spectacular.

Its the Carribean - everything takes a long time to organize, any thing you need will not be in stock, the cost of living is expensive - everything is imported through the "dock" if the swell is up ships do not dock so the island can be out of flour or cement.

If you have any specific querys you can contact me via montserrat-holidays.com

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Go to www.mvo.ms to learn about the monitoring of this very serious situation. Soufriere has been active since 95 and shows no signs of sleeping anytime soon. I would personally not invest money on real estate but would live on island a few months a year in a heartbeat.

Detroit
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Dear SSMS,

As it happens, the purpose of my trip is to scout the place for the business potential for construction company that we have in Michigan.

Our idea is to register the company in MS to participate in government bids and to participate in reconstruction in general.

We could build (or help build) your rental house and act as property managers. We also have real estate experience. We'd be also interested in a JV of some sort to pool resources.

Please, let me know what you think.

Regards, Martin

Detroit
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

Well, I'm finally here and it's spectacular.

If I were you, though, I'd think of MS as a place to live, not as a vacation destination.

Hope this helps.

OJibwa, WI
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

We purchased a villa in the Woodlands area and love it. Ash rarely goes into the Woodlands area and it is safe even if the volcano has a major dome collapse. We are retired and love it there. Mike & Joan.

Mentioned in this post
Woodlands
Woodlands
Montserrat
9. Re: Investing in Real Estate on Montserrat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, September 30, 2009