We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Cruising in a week and Martinique will be a port of call on this trip. Many cruises under our belt but never been to this particular island before. We prefer to do our own excursions rather than the ship's and just looking for a nice beach to enjoy for the day.

We are mid-50's, DH doesn't drink at all and I am a lightweight so we don't need a bar nor are we looking for a lively scene with lots of vendors and banana boats, etc.

I realize we should be prepared with euros and that there may be a bit of a language barrier. But wonder if we could get a taxi to and then back from a nice beach reasonably close to the port-- or even better if there were one within walking distance.

thanks for any information.

37 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
232 reviews
11. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Very Helpful.

Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
134 reviews
12. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

My cruise will call Fort-de-France in mid-Nov from 8am-4pm. Other than the beach visit, is the town within walking distance from the port? or is there any day tour worth taking?

Thanks.

Staten Island
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
13. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Are there beach chairs to rent in this area?

Vermont
Level Contributor
70 posts
77 reviews
14. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

I read that some local mini-van type buses are MUCH cheaper than taxis. Just carry Euros in small amounts. Take the ferry across from fort de France to La Pointe de Boute. Lots of beaches...

Hamburg, Germany
1 post
1 review
15. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

That's true, they are much cheaper (Taxico), but if you don't speak fluent French , I would not recommend to use them. There is no schedule when they are departing and they are connecting different cities on the island and not really stopping at the highlights.

You can take the ferry to go to Anse a l'Ane (it stopps directly at the beach and take approx. 25 Minutes). This is a nice quiet beach with 4 small restaurants. There is a boat once per hour.

Another possibility is to take the ferry to Point du Bout. Once you reach this touristic area with shops and restaurants (as well opened on Sunday which is not the case in Fort-de-France) you have to go behind the hotel under construction and over there you find a small beaches. Or you go to the beach of the Bakoa Hotel: renting sunbeds costs about 15 Euro/ day and its not a private beach. There are no private beaches on Martinique. The access is from the beach and from the hotel side.

Return ticket for the boat from Fort-de France to Point du Bout or Anse a l'Ane is: 10 Dollar per Person or 7 Euro per person.

The taxi fee will be about 70-80 Euro one way.

All the other beaches are complicated to reach or too far away. The beach directly in Fort-de-France close to the Fort St. Louis is not really beautifull but good for a short swim.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
16. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Please don't. Martinique has such interesting history and nature, it would be a real shame to waste what few hours you have on the island, for the beach.

Habich
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
17. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Merci, Brian. I am also of this opinion. Usually, on a cruise, you have so many beaches!!! The scenery on the Island is beautiful!!! A visit to the volcano, the rum destillery, the banana Museum!!!

Well, I tried....

Merry Christmas to all!

Sevenoaks District...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
18. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

thank you for your informative take on the ferry trip to a nice beach on martinique. Shall follow your advice in a couple of weeks,regards Vicky Bishop

North Truro...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
19. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Took a 20 min ferry ride, $7 per person to Point Du Bout . There is a beach near Le Bakoua Hotel (walking distance from ferry) where u can rent a chair for the day for $10. There are plenty of restaurants nearby to choose from and jet ski, paddle boards etc.. to rent. Our cruise ship was there on 1/6/16. I went there with an open mind after hearing from several people that they had bad experiences in Martinique because they were treated poorly by the locals. Sure enough...the local shop owners were REALLY RUDE for no reason. For this reason we decided to hop on the ferry (which is walking distance from the cruise ship) to Point Du Bout , and I am sooo glad we did! If I decide to take another cruise that stops in Martinique, I will skip the shops and head right over to Point Du Bout! You can look this hotel up on Trip Advisor so u can see the beach for yourself.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
20. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

We will be going on a cruise in February to martinique. Thanks for the information. Are there chairs and umbrellas there? WE are from Boston too.!!

Reply to: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort-de-France