We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Cruising in a week and Martinique will be a port of call on this trip. Many cruises under our belt but never been to this particular island before. We prefer to do our own excursions rather than the ship's and just looking for a nice beach to enjoy for the day.

We are mid-50's, DH doesn't drink at all and I am a lightweight so we don't need a bar nor are we looking for a lively scene with lots of vendors and banana boats, etc.

I realize we should be prepared with euros and that there may be a bit of a language barrier. But wonder if we could get a taxi to and then back from a nice beach reasonably close to the port-- or even better if there were one within walking distance.

thanks for any information.

34 replies to this topic
Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Hi! I see that no one replied to your question, which worries me, because it could have been me who had written it! I am looking for the exact same thing coming up, with the eact same background and husband! If you ever check back here, would you mind writing what you eventually did ? I can speak some Spanish, but other than counting to 10, I'm lost in French so I don't want to be too adventurous! Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Hi,

We just went out and walked about the town a bit. Near where the ship docked there appeared to be a ferry which ran all day to another island (st. Anne or something, maybe? don't recall). Still make sure you bring euros as even going into a bakery to buy a treat was not possible. No credit cards accepted and no dollars.

I am unsure as to how easy it would be to take the ferry to the beach but it seemed to be a combination of locals needing to go home or to work and tourist from the ship. There were signs with pictures that definitely gave the idea that this is how to get to a beach for the day. But as I would always advise, go early and return early so you don't miss the ship. Especially important when the language and money barriers might create difficulties and delays.

Not much to see downtown either, lots of nearly identical shops with really over the top clothes and cheap jewelry, feather boas, etc. Also lots of nearly identical bakeries. But bring the euros if you want anything.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,357 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Yes I guess the ferry described above is the Trois Ilets one, 1 x per hour. Not to a different island but directly across the bay from FDF. Where within 10-20 mins walk from the jetty indeed you find beaches, Anse-Milan and Anse-la-l'Ane; whilst closest beaches from the FDF jetty start with Plage du PLM which really looks like a city beach with too much concrete nearby.

That having said, Anse-Milan is also for sure not a REALLY nice beach - a bit narrow, not that blue water (as it's still the FDF bay) and only a few bars from what we remember. But the real good beaches of Martinique as indicated elsewhere in this forum are on the south coast of the island which is a both timeconsuming (45 mins at least) and expensive ride from the cruise port. So it's either a suboptimal beach or shopping etc. in town or another cruiseboat excursion...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Washington
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Thanks Erik, I guess I'll check into a ship excursion on this Island.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

How far of a walk is it form the cruise ship dock to town? We were thinking of taking a beach snorkel excursion from the boat but its only its only 3 1/2 hours and since we have a little time left thought of walking into town, is that feasible?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,357 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Oh yes, it's minutes to the edge of the city centre being part of the seafront promenade. Hence city visit is easy...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Washington
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Thanks Erik, you've help find me the solution of a cruise port day in Martinique!

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Hi there!

Just got bak from a cruise which docked in Fort-de-France Martinique.

Originally we weren't sure what to do because the cruise ships dock in the business area of the island. We heard from a few bartenders on the boat that most people end up getting off the ship and quickly return once they realize that it's a little more expensive than the other boats and that there are no beaches within walking distance.

Many people on our ship actually complained that the native people didn't speak any English, but that's just the cruisers being uncultured. It's a foreign country. We are guests. Of course they speak their own language.

Also, most stores have a special sticker on the outside which says that they take both Euros and US Dollars, so don't worry about exchanging money.

ANYWAYS! When we got to the port, we got off the ship and went right over to the ferry. It's $10 USD (or 7 Euro) each person for a round trip to get to the other side (Pointe du Bout). I thought that was very reasonable. Originally we did it because we knew we didn't care much to see the business side of the island. We were pleased to get to the other side.

There is a beautiful little beach over there. It's in font of a massive abandoned hotel and I think it totally gives the beach extra character. It looks like something out of a move. It was just do beautiful! Clean! Quiet. Shallow water. Great to take a short short walk down, and explore the abandoned walking paths leading up to the abandoned hotel. The way the beach was played out looked like three or four miniature gulfs, with palm trees and white sands.

It was definitely not a party scene. There was no bar, so I only suggest bringing water and snacks if you plan on staying all day (or head over to any of the small restaurants off the road).

There is a smaller hotel, with a private beach that connects, but the bar and amanitas over there are strictly for that hotel.

It sounds a lot more complicated that it really is!

If you are in Port-de France, take the ferry to Pointe de Bout and follow the path straight to the beach. Once you reach the sand you'll see the abandoned hotel on your right and the small active hotel on your left.

Ferry comes every 30/45 minutes. I suggest going early around 10 am and leaving around 2:30/3. We left around 3:45 and everyone from the OTHER 3 CRUISE ships were trying to do the same. It was madness!

ENJOY!

broussard
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

Thank you this was a very helpful review. could you tell me the name of the beach you visited and if I understand this correcty you can walk directly off ferry to the beach? I will be traveling with a 4 year old so this is pretty important.

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?

very helpful.

Reply to: Nice beach reachable from cruise ship?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort-de-France