We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Fort-de-France

Driving in Martinique

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
Driving in Martinique
Save

As an American, I was wondering how hard it is to drive in Martinique. I speak a little French.

Boston
Level Contributor
390 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

Driving in Martinique, in my opinion, is easy. The roads are very good compared to other Caribbean Islands and they are well marked. Use you phone GPS and the map from the rental company and you'll be fine. The coast roads tend to be flat, the interior roads can be steep and curvy. Just take your time and enjoy the surroundings.

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

Merci beaucoup!

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

Merci beaucoup!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
200 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

If you are comfortable with manual transmission and don't mind roundabouts, you should not have much trouble. The only real nuisance is congestion in bigger towns.

East Providence...
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

I just came back from Martinique and will be posting a full trip report, but I have to say I found driving kinda stressful. Maybe I just don't have enough other islands to compare it to. The roads are curvy and you are constantly going up or down hills, they are not lit at night, there is virtually no shoulder, and the speed bumps can be hard to distinguish from crosswalks. I had a standard transmission rental car and after the first day of grinding gears it all came back to me, so that was not the problem. I agree the signage at roundabouts is good, I just did not enjoy driving at night at all, and in January darkness falls pretty quickly. Good luck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
459 posts
64 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Driving in Martinique
Save

Rent a car in advance and an automatic transmission is readily available. We used Enterprise and were quite happy - the roads were a world away from the 20-minutes from next-door-flight white-knuckle roads of St. Lucia! :O Martinique had the best roads we've seen so far in the Caribbean. My Garmin 3597 LMT HD had all the maps already and my Sammy had the translator app, no need for guides or a French lesson. People were nicer than nice, polite and helpful, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Edited: 2 years ago
7. Re: Driving in Martinique

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, October 20, 2019
Get answers to your questions about Fort-de-France