We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Martinique

rental car advice

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
530 posts
240 reviews
187 helpful votes
rental car advice
Save

We took advantage of Norwegian Air and visiting Guadeloupe for 5 nights 2/18-23rd then Martinique for 5 nights in February

Any recommendations for good car rental company with good rate at airport. We will be arriving about noon and have a flight home 830am, so need company with key drop-off 630am.. Any local companies?

On Martinique is insurance usually included in rate?

61 replies to this topic
Asheville, North...
2 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
31. Re: rental car advice
Save

My friends and I just used Autorent Caraib in December 2017 and they were wonderful. They met us in the airport parking lot when we arrived and before we departed, making things incredibly easy. Prior to arrival I found the website easy to use and I received emails leading up to my trip confirming the reservation and providing directions on precisely where to meet them in the parking lot. Everyone was very friendly, the process was entirely smooth, and the car was solid.

We had a great experience with Autorent Caraib and highly recommend them to anyone renting a car on Martinique.

Edited: 2 years ago
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
32. Re: rental car advice
Save

Hi,

I wanted to post our rental car experience from our recent trip (Dec 2017).. since that's always a concern for me when I'm planning a trip to a place I've never been.

After doing some initial research - we decided to go with Autorent Caraib (http://www.autorent-caraib.com/en/) and the entire experience was great. Before our trip Richard was very helpful, answering any questions we had about the rental process.

We flew from NYC via Norwegian air, so our flights arrived very late. Richard and his team met us in the parking lot. (With the map they send you the car is super easy to find) The transaction went smoothly, and everyone was friendly & helpful. The car itself was fantastic (Renault Captur), and we definitely got a lot of use out of it as we explored lots of the island :)

I would definitely recommend going with this company and skipping the lines & hassle of some of the bigger rental companies.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
33. Re: rental car advice
Save

Last year we flew to Martinique and had a rental car with Europcar. I was surprised no one spoke English at the counter, but we muddled through with my rusty French. I was stymied though that they wouldn't let me rent a car without buying their insurance, which doubled the price of the car rental from about $400/week to $800. What was one to do? My friends rented from one of the American Agencies and they accepted their word that their homeowners insurance covered it and allowed them to decline.....no way with Europcar! When I got home to the US I emailed back and forth with Europcar's main office in London to get a refund but to no avail.

If you have an early flight leaving FDF airport, another reason to beware Europcar is that their car return lot, which is off site, is closed overnight. I can't remember the specifics, but I freaked out when I saw the gate locked and no one on the premises. When someone finally showed up, I was a little relieved, but then there was no shuttle yet to take me back to the airport. Good thing I had dropped my wife and luggage off at the airport before all this. Norwegian had already cut off taking luggage and allowing people to check in, but she had done so on my behalf so was allowed to proceed. I am going back this March, but am definitely going to book a car with one of the US rental companies, preferably one that does not use a shuttle.

East Providence...
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
19 helpful votes
34. Re: rental car advice
Save

I just used Autorent Caraib and cannot recommend them highly enough. Richard was in touch through email before our trip, and because our flight arrived at night and I was nervous about navigating in the dark to find our lodging, he delivered the car himself the next morning. The car was a tiny model with a manual transmission, exactly what I wanted at a reasonable price. Drop off at the airport was simple: he texted me the day before with instructions to meet at a specific lane in the general parking lot, and that was that. I would not hesitate to use this very customer-oriented company again. The whole rental experience was a pleasure.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
459 posts
64 reviews
41 helpful votes
35. Re: rental car advice
Save

We rented with Enterprise, they had the best rates. The Caribbean car rentals usually means that a local buys the rights to the "famous name" moniker and you get what you get. That said, we always seem to fare better as the "famous name" owner expects some semblance of quality out of the sub-contractors. Get your auto tranny chosen in advance as they're limited in supply, and remember that most rentals include the price of insurance, that your credit card may already cover. If you ask for that to be discounted, they may simply remove it and give you no discount with no options, "viva la France", hehe. Get a compact car or larger because their small car is a motorcycle with a roof. Our Renault was a great car with 4-doors, matte finish, and a 3-cylinder engine to cope with the $6.50/gallon gas prices. Its headlights were aimed for gopher-getting, so after a night of fun we returned to have them re-aim the devils.

Edited: 2 years ago
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
10 helpful votes
36. Re: rental car advice
Save

We used AutoRent!! We did it very last minute and it was one of the best decisions we made. The rental was for a bigger car than the quoted by Avis and it was a lot cheaper!! The car was brand new, spotless, and the whole process of receiving the car, quickly signing the contract and everything was soo smooth. We would definitely rent from AUTORENT again, no questions asked. Very helpful and nice people, excellent prices, excellent cars, no wait lines.

1 post
1 review
37. Re: rental car advice
Save

We rented a car with AUTORENT CARAIB recently (FEB 2018) and I can highly recommend them! Prior to our trip I was hesitating to choose between AVIS or AUTORENT CARAIB and although the Autorent Caraib was at slightly higher price than Avis, it was really worth it. All the communication with them (Richard) prior to booking was perfect and I´ve got all my questions answered. All the team around Richard was wonderfully helpful and kind, I must mention Jeniffer who helped us even with contacting our host in Martinique to come to guide us to his house as we don´t speak french and were not able to call him due some mobile network issues. Jeniffer was awesome and really nice. The car pick up was smooth and we even decided to extend our rental and Richard arranged shortly another car for us for the rest of our trip without any problems. We could drop off the car at the Ferry Terminal as we traveled to Guadeloupe afterwards by a ferry. Very good experience with a car rental company.

brussels
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
38. Re: rental car advice
Save

No. None of the car rental places have a “preferred” line (ie Hertz Gold). I agree with an earlier poster...rent from a non-US car rental agency. The line will be much shorter. We went to Guadeloupe Feb 2017 and my husband ran to the car rental line immediately after passport control (while I collected the suitcases). We got our car quickly...but then discovered a problem with it (headlight issue or wiper problem...I forget). My husband had to return to the counter to switch cars...it took an hour to do so (because of the queue).

brussels
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
39. Re: rental car advice
Save

Good advice! Even though my husband has Hertz Gold, the “Gold service” doesn’t apply in the Caribbean. It is “first come, first serve.” Next year, we will rent from a non-US car rental agency.

brussels
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
40. Re: rental car advice
Save

We had the same experience in Guadeloupe last year. They charged us for cleaning the car (we removed the large pieces of trash....water bottles and napkins). The charged us for getting the floor mats dirty. Unbelievable!

Reply to: rental car advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted