We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two nights next week in vieques...

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
6 posts
Save Topic
two nights next week in vieques...

hi -- my partner and i are headed to vieques on sunday -- thru san juan -- and want a romantic spot to stay relax and swim -- then head back to s.j. on tuesday, spend a night in old san juan, and fly back to nyc wednesday -- a short break but we really need the r&r!!

esperanza sounds best -- just looking into places to stay and a car to rent -- advice? should we fly to Vieques and take the ferrry back tuesday evening and make our way to old san juan in a taxi? not sure how far things are from each other -- looking for the least hassle possible as our trip will be so short! thoughts?

A2 Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

You should definitely fly to and from the island unless funds are an issue try Cape Air for reliable flights.

Also rent a car to enjoy and explore the island Martineau car rental is one of the biggest and very close to the airport spend the money on renting a car so yuo can optimize your 48 hours on Vieques.

For Lodging I would reccomend Hix Island House if again funds are not an issue it is exquisite, relaxing and chic, check out the web site. Otherwise Inn on the Blue Horizon Is a miniature resort with a restaurant on the property and a very cool bar and lovely setting on the bluffs of the carribean. Again Check out the web site.

If you want to do it on the less expensive side I would rent a room at the Tradewinds, Bannanas, or Amapolas - in that order of quality They are all in Esperanza And are also restaurants.

Esperanza is a great town very samll and charming compared to Isabell II the larger town.

Have a great trip.

Vieques
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

Hi, I would definitely agree on you flying out of San Juan to Vieques and vice versa because of you short stay. Taking the ferry either way takes alot of travel time.

Two options on flying would be to fly out of the main airport or take a a 10 to 15 minutes taxi ride (cost of about $15) from Isla Grande airport. It cost less to fly out of Isla Grande.

The airport and ferry dock are on opposite sides of the north side of the island. Esperanza is located on the south side. A 10 to 15 minute car ride from oner side to the other.

Places to stay on the south side: Hacienda Tamarindo, Inn on the Blue Horizon, Hector's by the Sea are romantic places. They all have web sites.

Bannans, Trade Winds and Amapola are more budgeted rentals in back of the resturant with small out door space to sit. They are nice for a place to sleep and shower but I would not call these places romantic.

For different place to stay on other parts of the island and car rental places go to www.enchanted-isle.com

Cranston, RI
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

We stayed at Hix Island House and had a great experience. I posted a review which you can read via the hotel link. We flew Vieques Air Link from Isla Grande and saved a few dollars as compared to flying from SJU. The flight is short and easy. We used Maritza's car rental and they were friendly and helpful. We arrived after 5pm due to a weather delay and they dropped the car at our hotel and we signed the papers the next day. Vieques was beautiful and the people were friendly. Have fun.

nyc
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

hey - thanks a lot to all of you for the advice -- we are going to fly from isla grande airport and go with martineau car rental -- really looking forward to our trip!

NYC
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

Hi,

My partner and I just came back from 2nd trip to Vieques. First time we stayed at Hix Island House, second time at Crows Nest. Hix is our choice....but you should look at it online. We stopped at Inn on the Blue Horizon to take a look...looks very nice.

The beaches are great...be sure to make it to Garcia and Secret beaches. By the way...the more dents and dings on the rental jeep the better. The roads to the secluded beaches are very rough.

6. Re: two nights next week in vieques...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 20, 2009