We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Travel

SE US
4 posts
Save Topic
Budget Travel

I spent a few hours today looking for info on a vacation in Vieques. Certainly glad I found you guys, this trip advisor site.

I like to travel on the cheap and that usually means accomadations for the evening, cheap hotels/cabanas. Is anything like that available on Vieques? Something for the backpacking crowd? Could I just arrive in January and find something?

thanks,

A

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Travel

Hi!! Depends what your ''cheap'' standards are. There are many nice & very clean hotels, b&b, even rooms for budget travelers like you., Its a matter of making research, I recommend (www. enchanted-isle.com) look for hotels and b&b. Also there is a camping area at Sun Bay Beach and you will be very close to places to eat, grocery stores and Vieques like nighlife. Adventures Inn, Casa la Amistad, Bananas Guest House, Trade Winds Guest House, Casa Alta Vista, La Finca Caribe are just a few very good and relatively ''cheap'' accomadations in Vieques., again, make research and call , its the high season. Don't even think of arriving in January and find something right away, at that time of the year Vieques is full of tourists. RECOMMENDATION: Start making calls, writing e-mails and make reservations. Hope you will enjoy Vieques and its people!!

Good Luck,

H

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Travel

check out this site www.vieques-island.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Travel

if you are looking for beach camping consider going to CULEBRA INSTEAD. HERE ARE SOME WEBSITES FOR YOU TO EXPLORE

www.islaculebra.com

ww.isla-vieques.com

please fell free to ask as many questions as you need to as being well informed is key to having the best trip possible

good luck and happy planning,

doda

SE US
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Travel

Thank you all for the replies, I'm looking at the various web sites.

I'm curious, between November and Late February is there a 'slower time'. It would seem there would be fewer tourists at Christmass, or after New Years.

Thanks,

A

Puerto Rico
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Travel

If you're thinking about camping Sun Bay is the place in Vieques. Is near Esperanza area and is $10.00 per night. You need to bring your own tent. They have facilities there. But is very laid back camping style. Also, you can rent scooters to go around and they have bio-luminiscent bay tours (a must) at walking distance from SunBay beach. There's plenty of small inns and places to eat, specially in the Isabel Segunda part of town.

SE US
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Travel

Actually, I'm not thinking of camping. I don't want to haul of the gear around. I'm really just looking for a cheap place, a little room someplace, community shower is fine, family run, small, friendly, walking distance.

I really want to relax, might rent a scooter. Might like to go fishing, maybe just from the beach or a pier.

A.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Travel

Hi Aiquile !

Have you looked at Casa Alta Vista?

Well....it has just been awarded trip advisors best bargain award for 2005 for being the best bargain in the caribbean.

Also check out the new site that is scheduled to post no later than Sunday October 8th by noon as it was informed to me.

www.PuertoRicoDestinations.com

This just reached my desk this morning.

Casa Alta Vista web-site is www.casaaltavista.net

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Travel

When you look at the sites of the less-expensive places listed above, you'll see their rates will show what their "high" and "low" seasons are. November is still low season for most places, but after mid-December, you're fully into high season, which will last until probably April or May. It's the same all over the warm-weather world.

Oh, and renting a scooter is actually more expensive than renting a car. I just learned this myself, apparently something to do with the higher liability for scooters. So get a car, even though they're very expensive.

Some of the budget places are right in town (either Isabel II or Esperanza), but to get to the best beaches, you'll need a car for the most part.

But once you find the place you want to stay, they'll surely be able to give you advice on such things.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Travel

the slowest months to visit PUERTO RICO SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER !!!!being there during this time will give you the feeling of having the islands (VIEQUES and CULEBRA) to yourself !

happy planning,

doda

Backandforth
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Travel

Just a quick little note: Puerto Rico is noted for two things among travelers in the know. Bad roads and worse drivers. Think twice about that scooter idea. After that, remember that not only are you in PR, you're on a little island off of PR. You get into trouble on that scooter, you're at least (the very least) two hours from real trauma ER help.

I'm not aware of any T-72 or M1-A tank-rental agencies anywhere in PR, but you'd probably be better off in a Jeep on Culebra or Vieques. And listen to Doda; she's got it right when she says to go to Culebra.

At least on Culebra, check out Carlos Rent-a-Car. I think they've only got two options: Wrangler or Liberty.