We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Grande or SJU

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Grande or SJU

We are flying to Vieques. We are scheduled to arrive at SJU at 11:50am. Are we better off connecting to a 3:00 flight from Isla Grande or remaining at SJU and taking the 3:45 flight. We are a party of 2 and the Isla Grande flight is about $25 cheaper, although I do not know what cab fare is. I also dont know how long it is to claim backage at SJU, get a cab and then re-check in, whichever airport it may be. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Grande or SJU

I've done this quite a bit. If you had one person, flying via SJU is probably easier and about the same price, when you factor in taxi and time.

However, for two or more people, we usually fly via Isla Grande. Arriving at noon to SJU and your flight leaving at 3pm via Isla, will give you plenty of time. Isla is a very small commuter airport, check in takes about 5 minutes, getting there 20 min before flight is enough time. The cab ride takes about 20 min and $20. I just booked a flight from Isla for 2 people at $96 total vs $170 for a flight from SJU.

Have you found a place to stay in Vieques yet?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Grande or SJU

I've also done this a lot --the trip to Isla Grande presents too much traffic (=timing) don't seem worth it for two. Call me lazy, and an A/C addict, but I much prefer getting the red cap to haul our stuff down to the VAL/MN/AirSunshine end of SJU and not wroking up a sweat, literally or figuratively, on th run to IG.

NYC & Vieques
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Grande or SJU

I agree with "jab"'s posting above; I fly between NYC and Vieques at least once/month, and I much prefer flying out of Isla Grande whenever I can -- even when I'm flying solo.

The taxi ride from SJU to IG is rarely more than 15-20 minutes tops (although one time, out of about 25 times I've done it, there was horrible traffic due to an accident, and it took about 40 minutes). As stated, the taxi is $20, so even if you're just one person you'll save some money.

But what I also prefer is waiting in the Isla Grande airport; there's no security check-in which means you can walk around outside and get some fresh air while you wait, as opposed to being trapped in the crowded little downstairs waiting area for Vieques flights at SJU. And at Isla Grande there's a cute little cafeteria to get decent sandwiches and sodas while you wait (closed Sundays, I believe). I just find it a more pleasant experience there overall, plus with 2 or more people it does save you quite a bit of cash. Hope that's helpful!

4. Re: Isla Grande or SJU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques