We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

nydailynews.com/life-style/vieques-emerging-…

I have been to Vieques twice and only encountered petty theft. Is this really what's going on?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

Beachfum 101, I did not say the population of Vieques was 100,000. You missed the point.

The 2010 census data shows Vieques has a population of 9,301 and I imagine it is lower now that as Puerto Ricans are leaving in droves to the U.S. In any case, whether it's 7 or 16 murders, that is a high statistic for such a small population. There was one murder in Vieques in 2010 and two in 2011 according to the official Puerto Rico police records.

scribd.com/doc/51543394/Census-Tables-Compar…

thecrimereport.org/news/crime-and-justice-ne…

thecrimereport.org/news/crime-and-justice-ne…

Edited: 10:59 pm, March 12, 2014
New York
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

Has everyone forgotten the woman who was raped and nearly killed two years ago walking back from the beach? Our house was broken into several times over the years and there are many others who have had the same experience. Tourists can't protect themselves if they don't know the dangers.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

briguystu.... until I did some digging I hadn't even heard of the tourist rapes. I have to think there is a lot of people willing to paint Vieques as more of a paradise vacation spot than it really is. I hate to say that, but my husband already informed me we won't be returning. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

I actually feel sorry for the residents of Vieques. It seems like they are the ultimate victims of the military's presence, including higher than average cancer rates. There have been many articles written on this.

huffingtonpost.com/maritza-stanchich-phd/ten…

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

The murder rate wasn't MOSTLY directed at drug traffickers it was 100% an internal war, no one else was involved.

The same people who were dealing in drugs were committing the other crimes like thievery and those sorts of crimes are way way down as al the usual suspects are now dead or have hightailed it off Vieques because their days were numbered.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

that's great news wholegain. Petty theft on the beaches, auto and villa break-ins were such a problem for decades. I'm so relieved hear that the situation is firmly in the past. Good to know.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

Let's not mince any words. Drug trafficking and control of it in Vieques is the cause of almost all of those murders. Several members of the Los Morochos gang were executed last year. All of the 16 executed last year were males between the ages 18 and 30 and most of the bodies were dumped in vacant properties. An ambush of several individuals occurred in the nature preserve administered by the USFWS.

primerahora.com/noticias/…

elnuevodia.com/azotadaporladelincuencia-1631…

Edited: 7:54 pm, March 13, 2014
Rochester, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

Umm...there are like 5 pictures that have surfaced in the past month of tourists being held at gun point. Until something is done about their crime they are going to have some serious issues with their tourism declining.

Rochester, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

prexplorer, see this post with picture of tourists being robbed at gunpoint. you seem pretty nonchalant about the safety of people on the island. …wordpress.com/2014/…

19. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:37 am, October 14, 2014
20. Re: Vieques article regarding tourism and crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:37 am, October 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques