We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

A friend and I are looking to relocate to Vieques for about a year. We are not particular about the kind of jobs we find--service jobs, office jobs, whatever. I speak fluent Spanish and am very familiar with the island, though I have never lived there.

I know the island is small and has a limited economy. In my travels to the island I have met many folks who travel there for a season or a year tending bar, busing tables, or waiting on the tourist population. I'm curious how people find those kinds of jobs without first arriving on the island unemployed and searching. Is it possible to secure a job before making the move? I have a work from home job, so I wouldn't be completely without income, but my friend and I would need more work to make our trip last. Any advice on where to look or whom to contact? I'm guessing service jobs are easier to come by, but I have experience translating in business settings. Thanks for the help! Spanish translation to follow . . .

Un amigo y yo queremos mudarnos a Vieques por un ano. No nos importa cualquier tipo trabajo encontremos. Hablo ingles y espanol, y conozco la isla muy bien.

Se que la isla es muy pequena y que no tiene una economia muy grande. En mis viajos a la isla conoci mucha gente que viaja a la isla por una estacion o por un ano. La mayoria trabajo lavando platos o sirviendo turistas. Quiero saber como esta gente encontra trabajo antes de mudarse. Trabajo en casa, y por eso tendria poco ingreso, pero mi amigo y yo necesitamos otro trabajo para quedarnos mas tiempo. Es posible encontrar trabajo antes de mudar? Creo que los trabajos de servicio sean mas faciles obtener, pero tengo experiencia como interprete/traductora en ambientes de negocio. Donde debo buscar? Con quien debo hablar? Gracias por la ayuda!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

There are not many jobs to be had in Vieques unless you have an entrepreneurial spirit and can start your own business, particularly in the tourism field. This is especially true in the field you mentioned of translator/interpreter. You would have a better chance at that in San Juan. One employer you might want to try is the W Resort. Go to their webpage and call their number and inquire.

Edited: 4:18 pm, January 27, 2014
Indiana
Level Contributor
805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

Vieques is battling an unemployment rate of nearly 20% and a ferry system, the lifeline of the island, that's rife with financial problems, not to mention the enormous budget problems facing Puerto Rico.

Not meaning to seem brash but your question reeks of naivety and probably violates TA TOS. You can check out the Vieques Events newsletter for possible employment opportunities.

just my .02 and I wish you the best

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

WEll

There is always work for those really willing to work!

hat is the truth.

I suggest you show up early in the fall.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

I agree. work is there for someone that wants it. especially if you speak Spanish fluently.

one thing to do is get certified as an interpreter. there are Americans on the island that do not speak Spanish that could use someone to translate at government offices on Vieques and the mainland. its worth the effort.

if you have any skill with a weedwhacker a machete and maybe a lawnmower, you can find work. if you know anything about trees and plants, you can find work. if you have any car mechanical skills, you can find work. But be warned, don't bulls@&t people. Word gets around fast and you will regret it. If you cant do something, say so. some people will give you a chance if you are honest.

I also agree about the w. you have a good chance of working there. if there is a w in boston, go to them and inquire.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

I'm in total agreement with Wholegrain. There is plenty of work here if you are willing to do it. However, I don't think you should expect to land a job before you relocate. I am sure there are many employers here still waiting for some of their prospective employees to show up! We had no trouble finding a job when we moved here and could have quite a few more jobs if we wished. Most times people find a job through word of mouth and pounding the pavement. One thing an employer wants to know is if you have a lease on lodging and transportation. This lets them know that you are serious.

Good luck.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

There are hundreds of folks on Vieques that are Bi Lingual and it certainly helps to speak some Spanish here. Getting certified as a translates might get you an hours work every few months, certainly you won't be able to make a living.

Bar tending, waitressing, cooking, property maintenance and working in tourism will pay the rent.

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

I am interested in providing Dentistry in Vieques. Can anyone supply me with the name of any dental offices or clinics on the Island to see if there is a need for my profession? Thank you in advance for any help.

8. Re: ANY Job Opportunities in Vieques / Trabajos en Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques