We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

I've seen so many postings about kayaking there... but can you swim or scuba with the dinoflagellates? Seems like you'd really get to see them light up if you were actually IN with them.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

We were fortunate to go a few years ago. Swimming in the biobay was an great experience, but it is no longer allowed. Please don't pay attention to any post that claims that you can go there yourself. It is not possible.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

The question was not "should" you swim in the bay, but "can" you.

Swimming in the bays wasn't "legal" for operators since 2006, but that didn't seem to be a problem for anyone on Vieques until the shark bite victim brought the illegal practice into the news in 2011.

As Frankipoo questioned- where is the law/rule you all speak of that prohibits individuals from using the biobay? I believe there is a lot of quasi- truths being spread around as fact/law/rules. The only rules I know are the ones Ray had a link to, which is what we do in Fajardo biobay and pertain to people getting paid to take people out into the bay. Does Vieques have different rules that you are all aware of that prevent private people from using the biobay?

Seems private motor boats which leak oils are allowed in- how is that protecting the bay? That must be against these "rules'/"laws" you all speak of. That has to be worse for the bay than one person swimming.

I would love someone to find the actual rules, so we all know. Then we all will know if we "can" and we can decide if we "should".

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

It's shocking that most highways on the mainland USA have better protection the the biobays! There are fines for littering and signs everywhere to "keep America beautiful.

Out

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

since several posts were pulled it is hard to see exactly what questions were raised? PERHAPS some of those boats in the Bay are grandfathered . There have been a few fishermen who have kept there boats there at least for the 24 years I have been here. It is very few.I remember a big ruckus a few years ago from A few PR yacht owners who felt they should be able to anchor in there and were turned away.

The bay is monitored and administered by the Vieques Conservation and historical Trust ( aka VCHT , or Fidicomisio ) I will ask.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

Thank you, wholegrain. I'm glad I won't be the only one cursing. ;)

Thousand Palms...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

So...you can? Naturalists and God frown upon it, but didn't He put it here for us to enjoy? I'll remove all bug spray and experience it, sharks or no sharks..:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

Sorry for my confusion and 100% agreed that the waters are protected and you shouldn't go try to swim in them! Thanks for clarifying Paris.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

"So...you can?"

No. You cannot. As mentioned previously, it's illegal.

"Naturalists and God frown upon it, but didn't He put it here for us to enjoy?"

Of course you can enjoy it. From a boat, as it should be.

Yes, God put it there for us to enjoy. No doubt. We owe it to Him to protect it.

Edited: 12:14 pm, January 07, 2015
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. To clarify, I was inquiring as to whether or not swimming in mosquito bay was permissible, since I'd gotten some conflicting information about it. Obviously, as a human being with free will, I could put on a bathing suit and throw myself into the bay. So yes, in that sense, I physically "can." But my question was, rather, if folks are allowed to do that. It now seems clear that swimming is not permitted, so that answers my question. I was unaware that it was illegal. I am curious, though, to know how swimming endangers that special environment (theoretically more than boating does). I am in favor of protecting fragile ecosystems, so don't interpret this as a gripe. I'm just curious about why swimming = bad and boating = ok.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,364 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Can you swim or scuba in mosquito bay?

Most U.S. swimmers wear sunscreen and/or bug repellent that may harm the waters. Many of the licensed tour operators provide natural repellents for that reason.

Someone was bitten by a shark as previously mentioned. It is not advisable to swim in any water after dark unless you have a light. You never know what's in it.

It's all about keeping it as chemical free and safe as possible.

The motor boat is electric powered.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques