We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Closures

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Deerfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Closures

We have our first trip to Vieques planned for next week. I have learned from this site and our hotel that the wildlife refuge is closed,including its beaches. I am so disappointed as I was excited to explore all those neat spots. If this is likely our only trip to the island is it worth putting it off and going to somewhere else. We are coming into San Juan and can take a puddle jumper anywhere reasonably close. Looking for advice from those experienced with the island. Is a traveler missing a lot visiting Vieques if you can't get into the Wildlife refuge?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Closures

As much as I think Vieques has a lot to offer that is not part of the refuge, if you can, I would visit when the refuge is open.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Closures

I would visit AGAIN when the U.S. F&W areas are open, but I would not change my plans.

How many days will you be on Vieques?

I get confused as to which agency controls which refuge areas, but Sun bay should be open since it is part of the DRNA lands. That would include Navio Beach media Luna Mosquito bay and Sun Bay.

Plus maybe green beach and I think Playa Grande and Playa Vaca.

Plus, don't forget gringo beach and All the beach area in Esperanza. There is also all the beaches on the north side.

Not to mention the fact that by the time you arrive, things may be different.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Closures

Frankipoo, I believe green beach and playa grande would be closed, but the others you mentioned open. I think if the op travels frequently two trips would be fine. But if they don't, maybe visit Vieques when the refuge is open....but as you mentioned...who knows what next week will bring!

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Closures

Vieques is not only about beaches, but if that is someone's main intent on visiting, then there are still plenty of options. The water and the sun are the same just about anywhere you go. Calmer on the south shore and a little rougher on the north shore with beautiful views of Puerto Rico and Culebra.

Unfortunately, this silly political ruse will hurt many businesses on the island during what is a slow period anyway - making things even worse for residents.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Closures

Since a lot of land on the western North shore inside the old gate now has local homes thru a municipal program, a lot if not all of that shoreline is probably accessible, but I have not driven out there.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Closures

For the years that some were protesting the Navy presence the entire east and west ends of Vieques were closed and people still had a great time !

Deerfield...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Closures

We will be there 5 days. We really like to explore nature and I know the refuge is a significant feature.

Thanks for everyones input. My hotel won't refund our money and I am thinking about kissing it goodby and going somewhere else. I only get to travel once a year and hate being handcuffed by a batch of idiot politicians who are putting thier idiology ahead of normalcy.

I have heard such great things about the island and think I would want to save my visit until I can enjoy all it has to offer.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Closures

you can still visit a different beach every day.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Closures

you probably should go somewhere else then.

no one would want someone's disposition to create a poor experience.

If you go when there are no issues, you should have a good time, but keep in mind, there is always a chance of a glitch when it comes to Vieques. It's part of what attracts certain people and repels others. I think that is how it remains the same. Vieques keeps itself that way.

Ellston, Ia
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Closures

I have appreciated all of Frankipoo's advice. I have been to Vieques twice and both times I was told by our rental car agency that I could not go to the wildlife area to the East. I still had a great time and was not able to visit all the beaches available.

Thanks to the info I have received on the forums, I now know there is much more I can see and specifically checked that out when I booked my car rental for this trip in January.

Bottom line, Don't throw away your money. Go and enjoy everything you can.

I would be tempted to rent Kayaks and head to the places you can't drive to! :)

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques