We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Isla Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Isla Vieques

I am planning my family's vacation to Puerto Rico. This is our first family vacation and I want to make it memorable. We (my husband, myself, and our 3 adult children) will be spending 4 days in San Juan, and would like to visit Vieques for a day. Is it possible to get there, explore the beaches and towns, see the biobay, and get back in on day? If you had one day to be there, how would you plan it?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

It is not reasonably possible to return to the mainland after the bio bay. East Island Excursions offers a tour from Fajardo that goes over and brings you back. It may be possible to pay for their tour and instead of going with them, you go on your own and meet them when they arrive in Vieques(you will already be there) and return back with them.

Why only four days? Is it before or after a cruise? If not, you should stay a few more days. you are spending alot of money and effort and four days isnt enough.

Will you have a car? are you budget conscious? can you afford to fly?

I would say to plan on an overnight stay in Vieques. its so worth it.

Lincoln, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

Thanks for getting back to me. The time limitation is partially due to my daughter's school schedule and my son's limited vacation time. Also, as I said, we have never vacationed too far away from home so I'm not sure how this will go. I think it's too late to extend the stay as are going in March.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

We agree with Frank- it will be very challenging to do a biobay tour within the timeframe of a day trip. And, in our opinion, if you're "not sure how this will go" you run a risk of seriously overprogramming this portion of your short vacation, which may lead to frayed nerves amongst your group.

Just our $.02!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

I have not been yet but am going in April and in my research found out that their is a bio bay that can enjoyed on the main island in Laguna Grande. Maybe that will help if you spend the day on one of the littler islands but want to avoid doing the ferry in the dark? pureadventurepr.com/adventure_trips/…

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

A second alternative is to go to Fajardo, spend the day in Culebra at world famous Flamenco Beach (the best beach in PR) and on the return to Fajardo take a tour of the Laguna Grande biobay. All of this can be done in a day provided you have a rental car.

Vieques will require at least parts of 2 days and you will need to rent a vehicle there.

The third alternative, as already mentioned above, is to drive to Fajardo and take a tour from Marina del Rey marina to Vieques which returns that same night.

annapolis
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

Great suggestion to go to the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo instead, especially if time is limited and you have a car at your disposal--less than an hour from VSJ.

If you are a hi-speed family, you could spend the morning/early day at El Yunque, a little time at Luquillo and look into scheduling one of the tours at Las Cabezas that same day.

reservaciones.fideicomiso.org/index.jsf

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

what is VSJ?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

VSJ = Viejo San Juan?

Chester County, Pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

The biobay must be seen at night.

10. Re: Day trip to Isla Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 05, 2014