We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Hello TA,

For our 25th annv. my husband and I want to experience the bio-bay in Vieques. I was thinking that we could visit Vieques for 4 nights, then Culebra for 4 nights, in mid-March. I had assumed there was a ferry that ran between the two, but from the forum I'm not sure that is the case.

I would love any input as to this "plan", or if we should spend the entire time on one island or the other.

I like the idea of the wild horses on Vieques, and we are looking for a relaxed, secluded beach type of vacation. However, with it just being the two of us (no one else to split the expenses with) cost is a factor.

I have also seen posts about flying from the mainland. We will be flying from Fort Lauderdale to SJU. Any advice on how best to get to and from the islands?

Thank you for your help

Tennessee
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

You could do both islands with 4 days on each. Just remember you will waste one day when traveling from one island to the other. There is no easy way. You either catch the ferry back to Fajardo and then catch another ferry to the other island, or fly from one island to Ceiba airport and catch a flight on to the other island. The faster way is the two flights. Air Flamenco used to fly between the two islands upon request, but no longer. Their has not been a ferry going between the two islands in several years. My suggestion for getting from SJU to Vieques or Culebra, is to catch a taxi from SJU to Isla Grande airport, 20 min taxi ride and catch a flight from there on over to the outer islands. Have a great trip. We have visited each island numerous times, but have settled on spending our entire 2 weeks on Culebra our last couple of times. You do need to see the free ranging horses on Vieques as well as the biobay. You might also want to consider horseback riding too.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

There's no ferry directly between Vieques and Culebra.

We went last year for the first time, and spent 6 days on Vieques, with a one-day trip to Fajardo to hike in the rain forest. We're going back this spring, spending 7 days on the island- no trips off of it this year!

We flew from SJU to Vieques on Cape Air- super convenient. The ferry would have been cheaper, but it was pretty great to get straight to relaxing!

Read everyone's trip reports- you might be satisfied with "just" going to Vieques (and you might find a better deal on a week-long rental than 4 nights in each place) We have 2 little guys- the thought of a week on Vieques with just my husband sounds pretty awesome :)

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

hmm, well, I usually would suggest all Vieques, but Culebra is great too. I think 4 days in each is a good idea. or maybe 5 in Vieques and 3 for Culebra. Mostly since there are more activities and restaurants and beaches on Vieques.

other than that, there is good advice here. cape Air is super convenient but not frugal. taking a taxi to Isla Grande is the most economical.

Dont bother with the ferry, in any direction, unless you have no choice. if you can afford it, fly from vieques to fajardo then to culebra. you could be from vieques to culebra in less than an hour if the timing is right. and there are lots of flights from ceiba.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Frankie

You can no longer fly to "Fajardo". They closed that airport several years ago.

I know you meant to say Ceiba ( which is a few miles away) but someone trying to fly to Fajardo will be met with negative responses and will be confused.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

We are planning on doing the same thing in mid-march. If our dates line up, I wonder if splitting a charter flight would be affordable.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Thanks so much for the information. And I was getting confused trying to find Ceiba:P I'm thinking we may fly to Vieques and stay the week as recommended, then when we return to the mainland do one of the snorkeling charters to Culebra. May just have to do one island at a time, unless we can work it out otherwise.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Also, to cantw82goaway, that is a great idea, to split a charter. What are your dates? We are planning to drive from Columbia, SC to FLL, do a hang gliding adventure, then off to PR around March 10. We haven't booked flights yet, so please let me know.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Just wondering here, but what would some of you that have been to both islands say is better about one vs. the other? I guess I want to be sure we can get to some quiet, white-sand beaches easily (with vehicle). It seems from some things that I've read about Culebra that a boat or kayak is needed.

Also, is there any way on Vieques to just drive to the bio-bay in the evening and watch the kayak tours, or is it inaccessible from the road? (I also wonder if we could rent a kayak and launch from the shore ourselves).

Finally, why is everything in Vieques almost booked up? This is our bucket-list, and really want to experience the island, but I'm getting a bit worried about crowds since so much is sold out. Wondering if we should wait until April.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

We will be going from Vieques to Culebra on March 19. Not sure how much a charter flight is. I think if you fly from Vieques to Ceiba and then to Culebra it is about $80. We are not sure yet how we will get from place to place but if your dates line up, I will look into a charter.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vieques vs. Culebra, or both

Even if every house and hotel room is booked our beaches will be empty.If you are looking at guest houses most are very small and only have a few rooms. You might do better finding an apartment or villa to rent ,many will do 4 nights. Avoid tje week before Easter as it is busy with traveres from Puerto Rico

it is totally impractical to try and do your own tour of tne bay. Tnere is no where to park as the tours take up every inch of the road and they have folding docks they bring with them that you can not use. You will sink up to your calves in Muck if you try ro launch with out one( i know, I tried it and lost one of my tevas)

It is also very dark out tnere and you could get lost and have a difficult time finding the launch area, there are no lights allowd

Some folk say flamenco on Culebra is a more beautifull beach than any on Vieques but that is one beach and Vieques has dozens of glorious beaches. And Flamenco is not quiet,they allow camping and there are often hundred of PR teenagers with boom boxes on the beach and lots of vendors. the other beaches on Culebra require a hike or a boat ,except for Sony beach which has houses on it.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques