We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunsets

MDUSA
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sunsets

I like to watch for the green flash when the sun sets over a water horizon. Looking West from Vieques does the sun set over water or the PR mainland in the distance?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunsets

The sun sets to the west and Puerto Rico's main island is directly west of Vieques. The best PR sunsets can be observed from Rincon on the west coast of PR.

Edited: 4:24 pm, January 24, 2013
Indiana
Level Contributor
842 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunsets

Depending on what time of the year you go, the green flash can be seen from Esperanza on the Malecon. Another spot is out on the very end of Playa Chiva. I have video of my wife and I watching the sun set there but it was too late in the year and the sun was setting behind the west end of Vieques. You can see it here if your interested:

It's the very last video on this blog entry

…blogspot.com/2012/02/curt-takes-hike.html

Curt

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunsets

Wow. I never heard if the green flash. Can someone explain it. I don't think its realistic for someone to travel off the island and drive 3 to 4 hours for a sunset.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunsets

Curt is correct, it depends what time of year. Until the beginning to middle of February, the sun sets over the water as seen from Esperanza. After that time of year it sets over land as viewed from the south side of the island. I'm not sure about the rest of the year, but perhaps is you went out to Playa Grande you could get a couple more weeks of sunset over the water.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunsets

The green flash is a phenomenon that occurs at sunset when there are no clouds on the horizon. When conditions are right just as the sun sets there is a thin sliver of "green". It lasts less than a second so it is easily missed. You can read more about it on these website:

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunsets

cool,

thanks caribsurfer

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunsets

Yes, it depends what time of year you go. We found sunset on the water in late October in Esperanza.

MDUSA
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunsets

Thanks to all who replied. On vacations, I pick places on the West side of islands for a good view of sunsets. I have seen the green flash just a few times (best was two times in one week on Dominica) out of the many times I look. Conditions have to be just right. Thanks again G

Level Contributor
625 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunsets

Green flash probabilities greatly enhanced when accompanied by tasty beverages! That comes from 26 weeks of Windjammin' in the Caribbean :)

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunsets

If you don't really see it, just pretend.

Green Flash is very cool BUT it is not usually accompanied by a spectacular sunset, they are different.