We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

Family of five wants to rent a villa for a week. Found our dream in Villa Dos Mares, not a problem. Our travel window is late July-early August. Flight arrives in SJ at 6:30 pm. Return flight departs at noon. Think I understand our options to get to Vieques: cab to ferry or fly.

Would love to spend some time in old SJ. Seems like we could spend two nights in SJ, cab to ferry for less $ than flying to Vieques. Problem is getting back to SJ to catch our noon return flight. Doesn't seem doable via ferry. Am I missing something? Appears we would have to tack on an extra day in SJ to make this work.

Seasoned travelers give me some counsel please!

pa
Level Contributor
831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

You can rent a car and drive yourself down to Fajardo (for ferry) or Cieba (to fly) parking at airport about $8.50 a day flight with Vieques $62 round trip pp .I'm not eure how early of flight they have,but why not do Vieques at the beginning of your trip.One problem I see is if you are planning on staying at the villa for the whole week are you only going to Vieques for a day? You should stay there for a couple of nights and do the Biobay.Split your trip between the 2 IMO/

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

I wasn't clear. We plan to stay on Vieques for a week. Maybe our plan should be to get to Fajardo after arriving at SJ at 6:30, spend the night and catch the ferry to Vieques early the next day to max our time on the island. Then return to SJ and spend a day and night before catching our flight home.

pa
Level Contributor
831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

That sounds reasonable.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

Given your arrival time of 6:30pm, your departure time of noon, and there being 5 people, I would highly recommend spending a little more, and purchasing a 10 book of tickets from Cape Air and fly both ways out of SJU. There would be no cabs, rental cars, extra baggage charges (assusming nothing crazy) and you could maximize your vacation time. You can use 5 there and 5 back. I would spend the first few nights in San Juan, than a week in Vieques. Party, than relax :) If flying is not an option, you may need to have a night(s) on the main island on both ends of your trip.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

I've had that recommendation and, though costly, it makes sense. That would allow two nights in old SJ and Cape flys out of the Isla airport, right? Key would be can we catch a return flight early enough to get to SJU for a noon departure.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

I believe Cape Air flys only out of SJU, not Isla Grande. But that is a plus. You save on the cab fares to and from one airport to the other. I believe you will have a couple choices for AM flights out of VQS to SJU, with time to catch your noon flight on the return.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

Thanks for the info. We want to spend some time in Old SJ and doing that on the front end of our trip makes sense. So we arrive at SJU on a Thursday evening and spend a full Friday in the city. Getting to Vieques via either Cape Air or VAL presents numerous options and purchasing the ten ticket package through Cape at $900 seems to be the least expensive.

VAL offers more return options to Isla Grande than SJU. The earliest arrival to SJU is 10:00. Not being familiar with the airport, will we be able to make our noon flight? It appears so. There are earlier arrivals to Isla Grande. How long does it take to get from there to SJU?

I am coming to the conclusion I'm over thinking this but appreciate any input. Seems the VAL website is more user friendly than Cape's.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

Wow, Cape Air raised the price of their 10 ticket book? it used to be $780.It's not so much of a bargain anymore... I hope someone from cape air reads this.

You can get a cape air flight back early enough to catch your noon departure, but double check with their website.

Besides that, it would be cheaper to fly out of Isla Grande on VAL to Vieques sice you would have to pay for a cab to SJU anyway from your hotel. then fly from Vieques to Isla Grande on the way back at either 730am or 930am. then take a $25 cab to SJU. you would save about $65 total each way, even with the discounted commuter book tickets.

the other option is a pre arranged car service to Ceiba for $80 plus tip then a $34 plane ride on VAL. that would be about $260 instead of about $385 flying out of Isla Grande and $475 out of SJU with Cape Air discounted commuter book.That would work for both directions since you can get a very early flight from Vieques to Ceiba as well.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

I would just mention that VAL out of Isla Grande is only cheeper, when you do not go over their baggae weight. Also, the ticket prices with VAL from isla grande have gone up. I would add up the cab fares, flights, and extimated baggage wight chagres, before you compare to cape air out of SJU. We have done both, but in booking this year, and an estimate of what we are traveling with, Isla grande is 20-30 dollars cheeper, which is not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Also, I believe there are cape air flights from VQS to SJU that would get you there earlier than 10:00. Maybe they are booked if you are not seeing them as a choice though. And yes, VAL offers more options to Isla Grande than SJU, but Cape Air offers just as many to SJU I believe. I would first figure out how much you would really save in flying to Isla Grande.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Putting a trip together: getting frustrated

amalia24

There are five of them, just about anything will save them money when it is times five.

I think in this situation I would consider not saving money at all and chartering a flight to Vieques and get in that evening. Then go back and spend a couple of nights in San Juan at the end. You could make up the difference by going back on the ferry and either doing a one way rental or having a driver meet you.