We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

I know you can get a Publico from the ferry/airport and go to Red beach. But how do you get back? Are they sitting at the beaches waiting or do you call them, or do they come around every so often or do you work out a time with the driver to come back for you?

Is it the same for Media Luna?

The Publico had a price list that also said they go to Green Beach, Blue beach and Garcia. Hard to believe.....is it true?

Also a little confused with the prices- there is "actuales", "sugaridas" and "solicitadas". How do you know the price?! Any additional for bags?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

you have to make an arrangement with whomever delibereed you to the beach to pick you and NO they are not waiting at the beaches! And no they do not come around. that is why we all emphasize over qnd over you need a car

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

There is information here on Puerto Rico's 300 beaches.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beaches_in_Puert…

Here you can read a little about the Red, Blue, and Green beaches of Vieques.

travelchannel.com/interests/beaches/articles…

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

Thanks for the info. We have always had a car, but when we saw the price list for the taxi vans that said they go to almost everywhere, I was confused with how that works.

Maybe this is naive of me not to "get it" but if you use a taxi to get you to one of these out of the way beaches and make arrangements for them to pick you up....why must you have a car? Are they not reliable? We met a guy at the bar that only used the taxis to get around Vieques and for him (1 person), it was cheaper than a car rental. He went from his hotel, to a beach for the day, then they dropped him off for Happy Hour in Esperanza and after dinner, they came and picked him up and brought him home. Cost him about $15 for the day plus tip. If you like to stay at one beach all day, that seems like a workable plan. Comments?

Indiana
Level Contributor
805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

What did he do with the beach chairs, towels, cooler, snorkel equipment when he was in Esperanza? I personally find it hard to believe that one could get picked up at the hotel, go to the beach, go back to the hotel (to drop off beach stuff), go to Esperanza and then finally get dropped back off at the hotel...all for 15 bucks plus tip? We paid that much just to go from the airport to the Hacienda on our first trip. I don't have a whole lot to back up what I think is the case, just that one experience. It would be interesting to find out just how much it really would cost. I might check into that.

:-)

Edited: 8:58 pm, January 08, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

I paid $5 pp one way from the ferry to Red Beach using publicos back in June, then from Red Beach to Esperanza for the same price. I walked to Sun Bay exploring the shores. After another activity there I called the driver for pick up at Sun Bay parking lot. From Sun Bay to the ferry docks is $3, so that's a total of $13. The publicos can provide their cell numbers if you desire to coordinate transportation to other locations. I did noticed some coordinated timetables with the publicos driver to visit other beaches. Some managed to rent for one day. Publicos, as mentioned above did not stay waiting on the beach, but from time to time publicos keep "running" up and down transporting customers. I had a little trouble with my cell phone reception, had only one to two bars or no signal sometimes, but managed to call the driver, this is in Red Beach. Going to one beach only for a day trip is fine IMO, but if you have a large party is best to have a car if you factoring the price tag. Some loaded coolers from Fajardo and had no problems with the publicos.

Catskill, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

I can travel very light for a day at the beach, a towel and sunscreen in a small bag, a small soft cooler with water and food. Period. Easily carried to one of the bars in Esperanza for an after beach cocktail. I hate beach chairs. Just my 0.2cents. A hired ride to the beach and back is very doable, not for everyone, but doable. Not everyone can afford a car rental and would really love to see Vieques. If it is a choice between NOT MAKING THE TRIP because the car breaks the budget, travelers need to know Vieques is DOABLE WITHOUT A CAR, just more difficult. I would never suggest someone NOT GO to Vieques because they cannot afford the car rental. Not saying anyone else is suggesting that either. But Vieques does now have options to car rentals, public transporation has increased and roads have gotten paved. supply and demand.....Call some drivers listed in Vieques Events and get some answers from them, directly.

7. Re: Publicos- to Red Beach and prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques