We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

I see the ferry only travels to Vieques twice on Sundays, 11am and 5pm. We are arriving in SJU on the 15th of December, and wanting to ferry over on the 16th on the 11am ferry. I'm concerned that with only 2 ferries that maybe we'll have a problem and get bumped? Does anyone know if Sunday's are a busy day for the locals to ferry back from the main island? Anyone have a gut instinct about this?

thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

The passenger ferry (la lancha) runs 4 times a day on Sundays. It is the cargo ferry that runs only twice on Sundays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

So, is this schedule incorrect or outdated?

http://viequesevents.net/pdf/1012ve-itin.pdf

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

No- that is not up to date.

Check this for the most current as of mid Oct:

dtop.gov.pr/transporte_maritimo/…

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

unless I am reading it wrong, they show the same schedule.

only 2 passenger ferries on sunday. but three cargo ferries. thats odd.

but remember, you will most likely be able to get on a cargo ferry also. unless they have a gas truck on the ferry. wich I find unlikely on a sunday.

also, not many tourists are travelling to Vieques on a sunday. usually it is friday or saturday for the weekend. and locals wont be coming back from shopping at 11am. so it is likely you wont have an issue getting to Vieques. Thouigh it might be a good idea to try for the first cargo ferry and use the first passenger as the back up.

why arent you trying to get to Vieques on the 15th?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

This is what the schedule reads:

On Sunday: Fajardo to Vieques there is the 2 cargo trips at 11am and 5pm

Passenger ferry on Sunday Fajardo to Vieques is the same as every other day: 9:30am, 1pm, 4:30pm and 8pm.

Of course this is all dependent on weather and operational consistency of the ships.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

Frankipoo - we're not going over on the 15th because some of our party don't get in until that evening. There are 7 of us arriving into SJU that day, so we're going to stay at a hotel near SJU and then take publico over to the ferry. In the past I've just flown to VQS, but with so many of us, and one of us deathly afraid of the little planes we thought it might be an interesting adventure to take the ferry. I use the word adventure with heavy sarcasm! I will try anything once :)

Thanks to a great recommedation here for a publico driver named John, I"ve been in contact with him to get us over there and he even graciously offered to buy our ferry tickets in advance! So, I guess that will be the definitive word on when the ferries actually depart. LOL

thanks all!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

ok, yes. i did read it wrong. I didnt pay attention to the word Lancha.

I guess The other schedule had it backwards.

John is a great guy and very reliable. You will be fine with him.

South Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

Purchase your tickets before hand if at all possible, with such a large party you don't want to risk not getting on the ferry. And who wants to wait around for hours for another ferry.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

viequesevents inadvertantly publishd the information that was handed out in a flyer that was published by the Ports Authority. It will be corrected in the next edition.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Vieques on Sundays

Again, we will say here that having a ticket does not mean you will get on the ferry. Locals are given first preference.

I would try to take the 9:30am ferry. On a Sunday you will have more locals coming back as the day progresses.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques