We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few final pre-trip questions...

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
A few final pre-trip questions...

Wow are we ever excited for our first trip to Vieques next week! I've learned a ton from so many of you and certainly appreciate your advice! A few final questions....

1. Is Flamenco Air out of Ceiba reliable? $30 each way is very inexpensive.

2. We are staying at El Con in Fajardo the night before heading to the island so we can see El Yunque. Is Palomino Island worth seeing, or should we pass since we'll be at so many great beaches in Vieques?

3. I know it's been mentioned over and over, but what are your top 2-3 beaches for whitest sand and clearest water? We only have 3 nights on the island.

Thanks again for all your help! Can't wait!

Indiana
Level Contributor
805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

I'll just take the question about the whitest sand and clearest waters and I'll let the video do the talking:

…blogspot.com/2011/11/slown-it-down.html

Playa Chiva has beautiful white sand and clear waters. The sand on Playa Chiva is a little bit coarser than on our fav la plata. Chiva is probably whiter though.

:-)

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

Officially the government pushes their flagged beaches as the best. They have their own criteria. Northern beaches are rougher ans the seas are larger and the water gets stirred up. West and south west often have almost a muddy quality to the water depending on rain. Clearest water smallest waves run from Maunabo to Punta Gilarte, but few people go there as there is not a lot to see and do.

Trips to Vieques have always been reasonable. 30 does seem a bit low.

Palomino Island, no not worth it if you on a short time line, its small, nothing but a couple beaches, spend you time doing more interesting things.

pa
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

I'm not sure about Flamenco Air but we flew Vieques Air Link in Aug for $32 pp one way. I do know there was atleast one other airline that seemed to be going out regularly too.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

We fly out of Ceiba.

We just used Air Flamenco to Culebra and it was great.

We have used and will use VAL again, it is $34 each way to Vieques.

Both worked equally well and mostly on time. I just pick the one whose schedule works best for my needs. I liked the online booking at VAL a lot, but calling Flamenco was easy/painless too.

If you are staying at El Con just hop their ferry to Palomino. It is a very nice island. Might as well enjoy it also.

Littleton CO
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

I can respond El Con question about Palomino. Beach not fabulous. Depending on the weather before you get there, the snorkeling may have very limited visibility. However, it is fun to take the boat across and spend the day on an island instead of sitting by the pool. Standard beach bar food and beverages. El Con is massive and everything is fabulous there.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

if you have nothing better to do, you should go to palomino. why not?

Flamenco is reliable. Book with them.

Now, for the whitest softest sand? I think Garcia Beach. the walk is worth it. I think red beach has soft white sand. and Navio and blue. and secret and silver

Three nights isnt alot of time but you should have a great time. Do you have a car rental? Where are you staying? have your bio bay tour reserved?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

I agree with frankipoo on palomino. If you have time go, but do not cut time from Vieques to stay at/go to palomino.

I also agree with Garcia Beach. But if you are not up for the walk, I would suggest secret, blue(chiva) or silver(plata)...which are all in a row so to speak, so you could easily see them all in even one day.

Enjoy :)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

Curt that's an amazing video and very clear water. Thanks for sharing!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

Hi we are staying at a house in Esperanza and have a car. No Biobay reservations yet, which I still need to make. Looking forward to it! Thanks for your advice.

Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few final pre-trip questions...

Here is a video of Vieques beaches. You will not be dissapointed in any. If you go to Green Beach - go early in the day as the bugs get real bad later.

www.youtube.com/watch…

have a great visit

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques