We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Rays

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Rays

I have read in the past there were manta rays that would visit often the area and could be seen at night by Esperanza pier. Any sightings lately?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Rays

I have never seen a manta around the Island. I have seen lots of sting rays in esperanza and see lots of Spotted Eagle rays between secret beach and blue beach. I know mantas used to been seen with regularity around Rompeolas.

In esperanza at night are these wild glow worms. I think only after the full moon, but cannot remember. But i have seen the often. theyre really cool.

There are many people on the Island that know their Island. I mean people whose families have been there for generations. They hold many secrets. Do you have any notion to seek them out and talk to them? I dont think computer or phone would be the way though.

Edited: 8:46 pm, October 16, 2012
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Rays

Currently I have no "contacts" on Vieques but I generally talk to people when I am out exploring. However I have limited time on Vieques so I need to research ahead of time also.

I have more than enough to fill my daylight hours there, but still looking for sunset and nighttime activities (besides the biobay). I hate night dives, so that is out. Glow worms sound cool, we will look for them.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Rays

I have seen spotted rays at the Esperaza pier near dusk multiple times. Honestly don't know if they are Manta Rays or Sting Rays. If you haven't made your trip yet, and are looking for interesting natural wonders (aside from the bay of course) trek down the arroyo to black sand beach. As you near the Caribbean, the area gets kind of marshy. When we went there last year, we noticed lots of small black things in the water. The closer we got to the sea, the larger these things became. Turns out those black things were coqui. In huge numbers. The closer to the sea we got, the farther in the life cycle the frogs were; tadpoles farther from shore, frogs closer to shore, all in the same body of water. It was amazing.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Rays

Afew years ago there was ray that came in every night to the mile long pier on the north side. it became quite An event and dozens of people would appear nightly for a few months to watch.

Whether it appears any more, I do not know but if it does the residents no longer frequent the pier to watch.

I believe it may have been a seasonal thing.

Edited: 5:44 pm, October 17, 2012
Catskill, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Rays

If you have not already, call the Vieques Conservation & Historical Trust in Esperanza. Maybe they can answer the mantra ray question and also have some different ideas in regards to things to see in the "natural" world of Vieques!

6. Re: Manta Rays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques