We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malecon House

lafayette, la
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malecon House

So, in looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like much of a "beach" right in front. How far do you have to walk to get to a nice, wide, sandy beach area? Also, what kind of street do you have to cross?

Thanks.

Wayland...
Level Contributor
488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malecon House

Malecon House is across the street - in this case Calle Flamboyan, the main drag of Esperanza - from the Caribbean, but not a beach, per se. Some do swim in the pier area, but the closest beaches are in Sun Bay. According to Google Maps (http://bit.ly/X0T4jR), it's a walk of just over a mile. As you've probably noted on the forum before, the best beaches on Vieques are best reached via car.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malecon House

Going to Vieques without a car is a bad idea. We loved exploring the beaches and the best ones were definitely not reached by walking. Sun Bay is ok and you can walk, though I never saw anyone walking there when I was there. There isn't a sidewalk.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malecon House

Hola, ctalldog -

Great question; interesting answers. Malecon House is literally across a narrow road from Esperanza Beach, many visitors' choice for the first dip of their toes into the Caribbean. One can walk from here to Sun Bay, less than a mile, by my feet's measurement - or maybe it just doesn't seem that far as it's such a lovely walk - which is this local's favorite beach. Big wide sand, plenty of shade, great swimming - we call it Easy Beach.

I didn't see that you said you are visiting without a car (as referenced by other posters) but maybe that was mentioned in a previous post. It is possible to arrange a driver to the further beaches which are gorgeous, too. They can also be more crowded than Sun Bay as tourists often think they're the only game in town.

For your first visit to Vieques, there's no substitute for staying in Esperanza. Walk to beachy bars serving frosty beverages, walk to tee-shirt & trinket shops and a marine life museum, check out the local color, all with a backdrop of unbelievably picturesque scenery.

We stayed at a guesthouse on the malecon without a car for our first visit to Vieques eighteen years ago - and we're still here.

Buen viaje!

Vieques
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malecon House

My wife and I are the owner/managers of Malecon House. Travel and Leisure did a small piece on us for the Today Show which shows well our location regarding El Malecon and the beach. Fast forward to about half way through if you don't want to plow through the whole thing. Hope this helps.

…msn.com/id/26184891/vp/45639861#45639861

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malecon House

Definitely worth staying at Malecon House. Just across the street you can catch gorgeous sunsets. The owners are lovely people and will help you with just about anything, The rooms are simple, clean, comfy/chic. Close walk to Sun Bay and great restaurants.

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malecon House

Hi-

It's not really "on the beach" but across the street from the bay. The Malecon / Flamboyan St runs next to the water like a promenade; while it is the main drag in Esperanza, is not a busy street and is easy to cross (just watch out for speeding scooters!). The shore access by the hotel is a little scrabbly and rocky and more of a bay for docking boats than swimming. You won't find it to be like a resort hotel where you just walk out and there is the beach. Vieques requires a little more work to get to the beach but it is totally worth it!

7. Re: Malecon House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 15, 2013