We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

My girlfriends and I will be in Puerto Rico from Nov 6-13. We are flying into SJU and staying in Condado from the 6th-11th. We then have reservations in Vieques from the 11th-13th. Our flight leaves from SJU on the 13th at 1:40pm. Now the problem we have is trying to get to Vieques w/o paying an arm & a leg. We know w/ Viques airlink your bags in total can't weigh over 50llbs which is impossible for an 8 day trip. We also know that the ferry is very inconvenient and being that we are only in Vieques for 2 nights we really want to enjoy time on the beach and not on a ferry. What suggestions do you all have? My friends are on a really tight budget and we are really needing help. Thanks in advance for your help!

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

It would seem to me, given what you've decribed regarding baggage weight and your time limitations, that flying to VQS via Cape Air is your only option. I hope that a little over $200 per person round trip is not your definition of "an arm and a leg".

Just my .02

Curt

Edited: 8:58 pm, October 09, 2012
pa
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

Check into renting a car and flying out of Cieba for $64 rt pp leave the car parked at the airport for the 2 nights $8.50 a day. We did this in Aug. and since we were going on a cruise and had ALOT of luggage we just packed smaller bags to take over to Vieques and left extra clothes and big suitcases locked in the trunk of the rental car and didn't get charged for extra luggage that way.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

how many people are you all together?

you have several options. and if finances are a factor, cape air might not work for you. but, if you have enough people, it may work. They sell a book of 10 tickets for $800. Thats $80 each way. if you have 5 people going, thats the whole book, roundtrip.

You can hire a pre arranged(john at johnspublico@yahoo.com) driver for $80 to $90. The more people there are travelling, the more people will be able to split the driver fee. so it can end up being econimical.You can take that to the Ferry in Fajardo for $2 ferry ride or take it to Ceiba for a $34 plane. The first ferry is a cargo ferry. it is at 4am and will get you to Vieques around 530 or so. The ferry can be iffy, especially with the cargo ferry since they wont allow passengers if there is a gas truck on board, but thats not usually the case. And if you get to fajardo, tell the driver to wait, or ask him to find out for you if you can get on the ferry. if you cannot, then have the driver take you to the airport. its $34 one way from there. though you will have to wait there a few hours since their first flight is at 630am, they tend to be a little more relaxed at the airport in Ceiba than at Isla Grande when it comes to baggage weight. and Isla Grande is a bit more relaxed than SJU. also keep in mind, they wont turn you away, they will just charge an over weight limit fee.

Isal Grande airport is now $72 so it is about the same as cape air. and since you will have to get a ride to either airport, one over the other doenst make much difference. the first flight from Isla Grande is around 630 am.

hope this helps, ask more ??? if you need to

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

Thanks guys for your advice. I will share this w/ my girlfriends and I may have more questions for you all.

@ Curt, Yes an additional $200 is considered and arm & a leg for my girlfriends. The key word is additional b/c I am looking at the total cost of the trip.

@ Cheers, The only problem w/ that suggestion is we would be paying for 2 cars a day(Main Island car & the Vieques car + parking) which seems more expensive than additional luggage cost. However, thanks for the suggestion.

@ Frankipoo, It's just going to be 3 of us so not a big party at all. Thanks for your help!

Additional questionings will come after I discuss this w/ my girlfriends. Again, thanks a bunch for your help!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

If your main limitation is luggage weight, and you are on a tight budget, then I would suggest you reconsider what you are packing. 50lbs is a bit more than the small roll away carry on suitcase. I use that for 10days of traveling through europe in winter and always have extra space for souvenirs.

You only need evening outfits when in Condado (and that only if you actually want to dress up). Vieques is more laid back, so there's no need to dress up. Bring only one pair of heels, maybe 2 bathing suits, etc. Most people pack more than what they end up using. So pack your bags, then take stuff out. Hope this helps.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

nytoparis is right on the money: reconsider what you are packing. You really don't need to pack much when visiting the caribbean. A few sundresses or rompers (you can dress these up for evening outings with some jewelry), a pair of high heels, 2 bathing suits, and a pair of flip flops should be enough to get you through your vacation in style. These are climate appropriate pieces of clothing that are very light and won't make a significant weight contribution to your luggage. Avoid jeans; they are very heavy and aren't necessary in PR due to the hot weather.

PRican women usually wear body conscious clothing at night: form fitting and/or revealing is the norm. So pack light because you won't need (nor want) anything big, baggy, or warm in PR.

Have fun!

pa
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

Well just a thought we rented a car for 4 days from Charlies for $147 and less than $20 parking and got to stop at El Yungue for part of a day so it just as cheap as paying $80-90 each way for a driver and more convenient. I know it stinks thinking your paying for 2 days and not using the one car but for us it was the best option. Just do your research.

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
204 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

Wouldn't it be convenient if airports had locker rentals? Then you could leave unnecessary extra clothes in the locker for the days you are on Vieques and pick them up when you return. We ran into this issue when we flew out of Kansas City in January. Froze going to and from the car since we had to leave our coats there. I suppose it might be a security issue...

Consider taking fewer clothes and visiting a laundromat at some point during your trip. Or like I do, wash in the hotel sink and take a retractable clothesline and clips. Lightweight synthetic clothes dry overnight easily. Cotton takes forever. Minimize shoes and accessories. I made it through 2 weeks in Japan with a rolling carry-on and the tote that sits on top this way.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

I would take less cloth. You just need summer cloth they are light.How many Bikinis do you need?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just when I thought I had all the details worked out...Help!

OK I am a broken record, I have packed for 6 weeks in Europe in a carry on and had to weigh for every inter European flight (Ryan air) I go to soputh America annually for 3 weeks with only a carryon and it is cold in the south of Chile so I need long pants and flannel. It would be a snap to pack for the Caribean.

YOU CAN DO IT!

There are web sites that tell you how.