We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belmont...
5 posts
Save Topic
Groceries?

Will be on Vieques the first week of December, coming in later in the day on Saturday. I've read that the island runs out of food and gasoline on certain days. When should we plan to buy what, and should we plan on bringing food over on our flight from San Juan?

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries?

At times the gas has ran out but I've not heard of food running out, except maybe during a hurricane. Most any provisions you'll need you can get on the island with varying degrees of availability and quantity. If you can't find it at Morales or Buen Provecho you probably really don't need it anyway, unless of course your on some restricted diet or something. Don't forget about the vegetable market on Tuesdays and Wednesdays near the GE plant.

I would not adivse packing food items from the big island.

Curt

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries?

there are two graceries on the island. one is opened until 6pm and the other till 8pm,

other questions that have bearing are:

what time are you coming in? will you have a car? are you taking a cab from the airport? are you renting a house?will the house manager pick you up? can the house manager get certain important groceries for the first night?

during extreme conditions and sometimes before holidays the gas "runs out". but not the food.

there is also the mambo and green stopre which has some canned food some fresh vegtables(onions tomoatoes etc) and some frozen food. so you will be able to survive the first day even if you dont get to the grocery

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries?

There is also a good farmer's market- it only runs 2 weekdays if I remember right, but you can get some good produce. It is on the 997 just before you hit the 200 to Isabel.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries?

Portelas market in Isabel is open until nine not 8.

One of the well stocked colmados in town, el molino is open much later usuLly until Eleven.

Belmont...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries?

Thanks everyone! I was concerned about getting in on Saturday and needing to rely on restaurants for food. Is ti possible to pick up a roast chicken and salad from a market for that first night if we get in around 6?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries?

probobly not!

We don't have SUPER markets with a lot of premade food.

You might possibly find some street vendors but at six you have lots of time ro find a restaurant.

Where are you staying?

Most restaurants serve until at least nine and some "saloons" like Mar Azul on the north side and probably Duffys etc on the south will serve a simple menu until around 11pm.

The civilian sector of the island is only about 4 miles square so you should be able to get to a restaurant in a matter of minutes and even buy groceries for breakfast the next morning with no undue stress.

Edited: 7:59 pm, October 17, 2012
Belmont...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries?

Thanks wholegrain. We'll plan on getting some basic supplies for the house as soon as possible after we arrive, and indulge in a restaurant that first night's dinner.

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries?

The Green store in Esperanza is open unil 9pm. You can pick up beer, wine, sodas, juice, basic canned goods, milk and cerals, packaged breakfast bars and candies. Not a bad little selection of tolietries. Anything you'll need your first night. That's if your planning on eating in Esperanza like Wholegrain mentioned. Duffys, Bananas or Tradewinds, maybe a lime colada at Lazy Jacks.

I was thinking that Morales in Isabel is open unitl 8pm. There's another place on 200 right as your going into Isabel on the right/east side. Seemed like it's near a bistro resturant. It's open late and I was suprised just how much it had. Can't remember the name.

You should have no problem getting what little you'll need.

:-)

Catskill, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries?

If you are in the Esperanza area, there are kiosks on the waterfront with different food choices. As far as I know, they are not there during the week, so if you want to try local street food, Saturday may be your best time. You can buy stuff to bring to the beach on Sunday too! The orange truck across from Sunbay beach has the best chicken ever, sat and sun.

Catskill, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries?

I should clarify. You will not make it to the orange truck for chicken on Sat. when you arrive, they sell out early in the afternoon. I just wanted to mention it as another food option for week-end only vendors.