We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques?

We've been to Puerto Rico 5 times and we've never made it to Vieques. My friend who is celebrating a big birthday always said he wanted to go to either Vieques or Cluebra is now getting cold feet. We've been to a number of islands (Curacao, Aruba, St. Maartin, St. Criox). We like beautiful beaches and time to snorkle and have drinks at sundown. Any guidance?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques?

Hi bumper,

Well I think I can speak for most regulars in this forum and say you won't be disappointed if you choose Vieques. Most of what you need to know about the island can be found here. Spend some time reading through the "Top questions about Isla de Vieques" over on the right and go back through recent threads on the forum. I've posted a number of my favorite pictures I've taken over the years on my Pinterest board here: pinterest.com/CasaDosChivos/vieques-beaches

And a YouTube video I shot while riding into Isabell II (set to music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md1K484oNSI

As you make your travel plans I recommend:

Spend at least 4 nights

Stay at a vacation rental house (you can find a bunch right here on TA)

Rent a jeep for your entire stay!

Edited: 7:27 am, September 29, 2012
Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques?

Bumper if you like beautiful beaches then Vieques won't disappoint. It has been my impression that Vieques does not have as nice of snorkeling as other, including what you mentioned, Caribbean islands. Vieques also does not have all the amenities that most of the poplular islands have. But if your tired of the "one size fits all" caribbean experience, Vieques will offer you something you won't find anywhere else. There's a vibe on the island that not all people get, but the ones that do.... fall in love with the place (we are in the latter group.)

Peruse this forum and visit the "Top Questions" section like ViequesGuy suggested.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques?

Thanks for the information. Do you usually fly there? Who do you fly with?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques?

We ALWAYS fly. We take Vieques AirLink out of Isla Grande airport. About $140/pp/rt.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques?

I've heard cape air is better.....safety wise. Any thoughts?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques?

Thanks for the information. Do you usually fly there? Who do you fly with?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques?

I myself take the ferry from Fajardo. Of course, I understand the ferry can be a gamble during the high season (October-April). But I always go in June. My taxi from San Juan to Fajardo is $90 each way, thanks to a regular, trusty driver. I can wake up in Manhattan at 5am on a Saturday morning, and be on Blue Beach by 4pm that day. I'm happy that Vieques has not become Aruba or the USVI. Even with the W, it is still a lazy island where the focus is on the beaches. Some travelers want the resort life. For the beach lovers, there is Vieques. It's my favorite island in the Western hemisphere because it never became a corporate tourist trap. It really is what the USVIs were 30 years ago and I hope it never changes.

Edited: 12:09 pm, October 01, 2012
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques?

BOTH VAL and Cape Air are safe. equally. it's nonsense to think otherwise.

why is your friend getting cold feet? what are their issues?

the most economical way for two or more people to get to vieques is to rent a car from Avis one way with a drop off in Ceiba and then go to the ferry. It is about $15 or so cheaper than taking a "cab". but the "cab" is alot less hassle and worth the extra few bucks.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vieques?

Where is Isla Grande...near OSJ???

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vieques?

Dear Clooney_99

I lived for 7 years in the USVI more than 30 years ago and it was then 100 times more developed than Vieques is now.

Thirty years ago they had, traffic lights, Condos, Golf courses, super markets,night clubs,and hotels on just about every nice beach, we still are very far away from any of those things!

:D