We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

My wife and I will be traveling to Vieques Island to celebrate our 20th anniversary and I am looking for a resort to stay at that will suit us well. The things we value or want to do are:

Snorkeling

Paddleboarding

Kayaking

Sailing (mono hull preferable)

Fine dining

Quiet (no party locations)

Given that set of criteria where would you recommend I stay on Jamaica? My travel agent suggested W Retreat and Spa which looks nice but no sailing opportunity that I can see.

Thoughts?

Berkshires
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

You'll need to leave the W to see what Vieques has to offer. All activities on your checklist are available on Vieques, but if you want an all inclusive/never leave the resort grounds kind of experience, you should probably look elsewhere, perhaps El Conquistador on the main island. Just my opinion.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

You'll need to leave the W to see what Vieques has to offer. All activities on your checklist are available on Vieques, but if you want an all inclusive/never leave the resort grounds kind of experience, you should probably look elsewhere, perhaps El Conquistador on the main island. Just my opinion. Also Vieques is part of Puerto Rico, not Jamaica.

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

Vieques is the antithesis of your typical Caribbean resort island. It's lack of amenities one of the things that draw many return visitors, including myself. The W does offer most of what your decribing (as per your travel agent suggestion), but for less money you could have more of what you seem to be searching for with another destination. Seems many of us who like Vieques are willing to pay more for less (which on balance is more), if that makes any sense.

Just my .02

Curt

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

To all;

...looks like the OP asked the same question on the Jamaica forum, hence the accidental mention of Jamaica on this query.

Dave C, Jamaica & Vieques are miles apart, not just in distance, but in character. It sounds like your Travel Agent is unfamiliar with Vieques, but has seen some material on the W. The W is the ONLY resort on the island- very nice, but not at all like the rest of the island, which is very laid back. We suggest you do a little more research about the island to see if it's the one for you.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

If you do want a resort, also consider St. John, Virgin Islands.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

If money is no object, stay at the W as an anniversary is a special occasion.

7. Re: 20th anniversary on Vieques Island, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 23, 2013