We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

1st trip to PR was on restricted travel points so we had to go to San Juan...from all we're researching looks like Vieques is more our speed. We want laidback, untouristy and great for beaches and snorkeling. Just the 2 of us and trying to balance convenience and budget...looking to go in late october and maybe stay in the Costa Brava Guesthouse Airstream. Trying to figure out best way to fly, starting from San Diego...and how to handle transportation on the island.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

well, transportation on the Island should be a rental. 4x4 preferable but a 4x2 suv is fine. book now.

do you want a hotel/inn or do you want to be in a regular house? what is your lodging budget?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

Definitely got the idea that there is no way to be on the island without a rental vehicle...will research options. I haven't driven in over 10 yrs and let my license lapse so my partner will be stuck with driving. He's experienced in Mexico Baja and mainland driving so I doubt anything will surprise him.

We want to be in a rental with at least some kitchen facilities so we don't have to eat out all the time...we're both resourceful cooks and terribly cheap about food. We were stuck with being in a hotel in San Juan on our last travel-point-restricted trip, and went as far as figuring out how to reheat fridged leftovers with our coffeemaker, but hope to not have to MacGyver quite so much next time round. Budget is $500/wk and like I said earlier I am leaning towards the converted Airstream at Costa Brava. Quirky and laidback but not primitive are our speed--running water and heated showers a must, air conditioning as well...other amenities negotiable.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

well, if you can get all that for $500 a week you should reserve it.

thats really cheap.

I know the house but not the airstream. The house isclose to the water. it is the north east shore. very rocky. good for lobsters though. and a great view and breezy. Im sure you will enjoy it. especially if you get to use the pool.

I was going to suggest Casa LaDera. but i dont think it will be within your budget. but it may be. its a great place too.

have fun

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

Alison, let me preface this by saying that I'm laughing WITH you not at you. Were you able to reheat the food with the coffeemaker?? (the plate is pressure sensitive, so it doesn't act as a simple heating element). I'd love for you to share how you accomplished this, if you wish. Very resourceful. Not sure I would have thought of that. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

My partner Jesse is truly a culinary MacGyver. It was technically heating with hot water (sort of like "boil-in-bag" rice) rather than heating directly with the coffeemaker. He sealed the serving of mofongo in a plastic shower cap, placed in the carafe of the coffeemaker as heated water poured into it, repeated and left in the hot water until warmed through.

6. Re: Different Decisions...40s couple plans 1st Vieques trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques