We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

Can anyone compare and contrast. I want the tour to be informative, but with 2 kids, but not too "deep." Patient guides are key. Entertaining guides are a bonus.

I think Abe's is cheaper (1/2 off for kids). But VAC has clear canoes. Are those worth the money?

Looks like either is fine...looking for some feedback. Cheers,

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

I cannot compare the two, but I can tell you that Abe's is a great tour! His guides are informative and fun. We took a group of four and had such a great time that we make sure to meet up with Abe while we are in Vieques each year. We are leaving in a week to make our 4th trip to Vieques!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

We have used Abe's the past 2 years and had a great time!

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

I haven't used Abe's but just went with VAC. We couldn't understand how someone would do the bay without being in the clear canoes. The sight of seeing millions of stars go under you is amazing. The guides (Rob and Kevin) were awesome. Funny without being corny. They seemed very patient and truly loved their jobs. My wife and I both liked how we weren't forced into a "conga line" but everyone could paddle at their pace (within reason). I know VAC is more expensive but I think it's worth it.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

have you read the reviews on this page?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

thanks - yes I have. seems evenly split. just looking for someone with direct experience with both thoguh

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

We've gone with Abe twice, but both trips were 7 years ago and I think he ran a smaller operation back then. I definitely didn't think to post a TA review! He was informative and entertaining...I don't think we had to test his patience so I can't speak to that. We were able to get into the water and the experience was indescribable; none of the licensed operators are able to have tourists do that any more, which makes environmental sense and should be respected.

For our most recent trip back, I decided to book with VAC to check out the clear canoes. They are the next best thing to getting into the water, in my opinion. The group trip was a little different, and definitely less personal, than the private Bio-Bay tour that we did with Abe, but the two guides (Kevin and Robert) were just as informative and friendly.

You really can't go wrong with either outfit, but the clear canoes definitely provide the wow factor. I thought that Abe was a hoot though so who knows...if we went out a fourth time, we may go back to him.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

Thanks. just trying to figure out if the extra 80 for VAC is worth it. if the clear canoe is just kitsch or if it really makes a difference

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

I wanted to book with Vieques Adventure Company, but couldn't. Let's just say that the guy that runs it is a little "quirky". Do a search here under "Vieques Adventure Company" and you'll see what I mean.

Brecksville, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

My husband and I did the full day tour with Abes this past March. Paddled throught the mangroves (very cool) and out of the bay to a small beach for a picnic dinner before the bio bay. Highly recommend Carlito! local young man that grew up on the island. Very informative with a good sense of humor. Learned alot while having a great time. Only 4 of us on the tour so it was very personalized and relaxing. Can now open a coconut with bare hands :) Unfortunately we had a full moon on a very clear night so the bay was a bit of a disappointment. Abe's was easy to work with via email and phone. He gets a great recommendation from us!

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biobay - Abe's or Vieques Adventure

You didn't mention the age of your two kids. Unless they are very young I vote for clear canoes - can't beat the wow factor of them! Our son (teenager) was clearly impressed and just kept saying "this is awesome" : )

Abe is great too though, and at least you know you can't go wrong with either tour.

Edited: 10:44 pm, June 26, 2012