We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Vieques

webster, Ny
Level Contributor
164 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Vieques

Has anyone taken the ferry lately ? Is it reliable compared to before?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Vieques

I haven't taken the ferry, but they have the 600 passenger passenger ferry working again, so things are said to be back to normal....for now.

Running on or close to schedule, with room for everyone.

Quincy
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Vieques

Fingers crossed for March 8th and 10th. My wife would rather forfeit the 600 bucks for the hotel and car rental than to fly the puddle jumper over there if the ferry isnt running......

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Vieques

I'm going to try to take the Fajardo Ferry next Saturday. Has anyone taken it lately?

Indiana
Level Contributor
865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Vieques

I've never taken the ferry, nor do I know if it's reliable. I do know that my wife and I were on seaglass beach Thursday evening when a ferry left Isabel. The black cloud of diesel smoke that was spewing from that ferry was enormous and engulfed almost the entire ferry. I wonder what the air is like when traveling on that particular ferry? We took a picture of it because it we couldn't believe the smoke. I have it here, just scroll down in the post:

…blogspot.com/2012/02/siddhia-hutchinson-gal…

Maybe someone who takes the ferry on a regular basis can tell me if this is normal?

Curt

Plymouth, MA
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Vieques

Douglar I too am planning on taking the ferry next Sat and am trying to get info from members on reliability since the 2/12 startup. Anybody have any more info of how things have been going??

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Vieques

If the ferry runs when you need it Great, wow it is reliable! But sometimes , actually often the Boats break down, actually pretty often , but if it doesn't happen on your trip well then I guess it is reliable . You have to roll with the punches if you have more time than money you will be fine.just be fore warned!

dawnsternaz
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Vieques

What a nightmare! Apparently the passenger ferries are broke. Only have cargo ferries right now. They are waiting for the Coast Guard to come fix them.

Today, we waited in line one hour before and all ferries to Culebra and Vieques were sold out, for the 9am and 9:30 trips. They would not even sell us a 1pm ticket. They told us to come back and check, as residents are a priority to get them back to Vieques. We even watched two PR police officers argue with the ferry lady in Spanish. She wasn't going to let them on and then finally did.

We are going to rent a boat tomorrow and go over tomorrow to Culebra tomorrow instead. Air Flamenco and Cape Air also have flights, pretty reasonable if you want to go over, but many are sold out in advance so book early.

Keep in mind this was a weekday and it was still an organized mess. My husband tried to go next door to reserve a ticket for tomorrow and they wouldn't see him one. Another option is to try and get on a night ferry and stay the night and then come back, maybe those are less crowded? So glad we didn't stay on Vieques and needed to get there!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Vieques

Whoa!

Some misconceptions in the post above. The Coast Guard does not FIX ferries. They do however inspect them for seaworthiness.

Cape Air only has flights from SJU (an Juan International airport) to Vieques and they do not fly to Culebra at all from anywhere and though convenient not inexpensive ..

Flamenco Air and Vieques Air Link, VAL, have reasonable fares ( about $30 each way) and only 10 minute flights from the old Roosevelt Rhodes Naval Air Base in Ceiba, to both Culebra and Vieques and since they operate as on demand ,if you show up there at a reasonable time (like before 4pm) they will get you to either island. I still would call ahead and make a reservation because you won't have to wait as long..If there is a true ferry emergency these airlines just fly back and forth until everyone gets to where they are going until it gets too dark (VFR flight rules except for the Caravan which flies instruments and can fly at night) t or the pilots feel they should not fly any more.

Good luck renting a boat, please report back on where, from whom and how much it cost to rent and in gas?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Vieques

The state of ferry service between Culebra and Vieques is so deplorable that Governor Fortuño's administration has reached out to federal agencies to clear the way for a privately run system.

The Governor also said federal authorities are looking at potential acts of sabotage that have disrupted ferry service, including cut cables and water dumped into fuel tanks.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Vieques

As of 6am the Cayo Blanco was at the ferry dock. At least I think it was the Cayo Blanco. It looked like it, but it was too dark to see the name. Anyway, it was a large passenger ferry. The cargo ferry was there as well.