We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques Budget accomodation

Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Vieques Budget accomodation

Hi -- my boyfriend and I will be in Vieques for four days in the middle of March. We're real budget travelers -- so I'm looking for advice on the absolute cheapest places to stay on the island. Any suggestions?? Nothing is too budget for us.

Also, should we think about getting a car, or are the scooters enough?

Thank yoU!

Vermont
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

We rented a car and it was absolutly necessary for where we wanted to go. I don't think you could make it to most of the beaches on scooters, though you would be able to get around the island (from Esperanza to Isabel Segunda). I didn't really believe the other posts that said the roads to the beaches were really rough as I live in Vermont where half the population lives on dirt roads but these were more than just dirt roads. They were muddy and full of giant holes. I saw a few SUVs get stuck! But Sun Beach is totally accessible by scooter and it was a great beach. Have fun!

Middle Island, Long...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

Must get jeep. There are soo many beaches, those poor people on the scooters.Plus then you fill up your cooler spend the day.We reccomend Casa de Amistad. Great prices! Super clean and nice. They give you coolers , chairs, beach towels, umbrellas. Check out their website.You'll be sooo happy!

nj
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

I just booked a room at Casa Alta Vista for April 2006 based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. We plan to rent a car since I hear some of the best beaches are hard to find and quite a walk.

nj
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

I just booked a room at Casa Alta Vista for April 2006 based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. We plan to rent a car since I hear some of the best beaches are hard to find and quite a walk.

Middle Island, Long...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

Hi, just wanted to elaborate on Casa Alta Vista. We actually stayed there for one night. We loved Vieques soo much that we had to stay another day but Casa De Amistad couldn't accomodate the extra day. So we called everywhere, Casa Alta Vista had just recieved a a cancellation, so we jumped on it. The sheets were gross, unidentifiable stains ALL over. Towels stained ALL over, and scratchy. A/C worked really good. Bathrooms not too clean.I didn't even take my shirt off when I went to sleep.The roof was pretty cool to watch the sun rise and set.I mean it wasn't the vworst, but I wouldn't stay there again. Ricky, the guy at the desk was super sweet. I think that is why we didn't really complain. It was last minute and it enabled us another awesome day on Vieques. Good Luck!

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

When you make budget reservations, you have to expect and accept some of the conditions of a budget hotel. I think you already know that.

Clearly, the last person who posted never planned to stay there in the first place.

I wanted to save a few bucks and forego a car...CAV allowed me to do that.

We were just staying two nights and spent all of our time outside of the hotel except to do a quick change for dinner and crash for the night.

If we were staying longer, I think would have spent more on the hotel and tried Hector's by the Sea, which is also highly recommended.

A car would probably serve you well. Indeed some of the roads were long and bumpy. We didn't mind walking, but thought next time we try bicycles.

Have a great trip!!

by the way, not sure how you're getting there, but we flew in on vieques air link out of isla grande airport. cheaper than SJU and so cool!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

Stay at Jaime's Escondite! I just got back from there and it was incredible!! $550 for the week and it's an adorable 1 room casita. The owners live on the property (the casita is behind their house) and are the nicest people. They are very well respected in Esperanza and will treat you like their guests (yet they certainly give you privacy!). Check it out. It's awesome---I plan to stay there again.

Ann Arbor, MI
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

Definitely rent a car. The island has many spectacular beaches (Red Beach, Secret Beach, Garcia Beach, Navio, Media Luna, Green Beach, . . . ) and they're all down very long, *very* bumpy roads.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vieques Budget accomodation

Hi To All !

Ricky the man here .....Folks , I want to add that if it werent for people like your selves posting these comments ,then hotels wouldnt have a clue as to why business declines.I personally consider all these comments constructive and do not take anything offensive.We dare you to find any place that is as willing and dedicated as we are when it comes to accomodations.

The comment of the sheets and all that was really not necessary, and especially how gross you described it.I mean I was embarrassed and took it into my hands to personally make it better.Hopefully it will all be nice for our next guest.

Like I said before,this is all constructive for many hotel owners so please continue to leave your feed back on your stay in these places.

Hey ,and Thanks for calling me sweet!

this is what I do and I'm good at it and I will continue to get better ,to ensure the happiness of all our guest.

Thank you all and Happy Ventures!