We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jellyfish

I was made to understand peak season for Jellyfish is late July thru September. Does anyone have information on species, locations and best methods for protecting adults and children alike? Is full body protection required? I would assume the Bio-bay would have a high concentration?

Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Jellyfish

Here is what the Safe Sea Product claims to do:

www.buysafesea.com/how_safesea_works.php

You may draw your own conclusions....

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Jellyfish

You asked for suggestions.......

PuertoRico
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Jellyfish

For my experience in Viques you will find jelly fish year long, but on the summer they appear more. The Bio-bay doesn't have jelly fish. I saw jelly fish on Playa Grande and on the Port. You can see photos of the jelly fish of Vieques here www.zeepuertorico.com/place/grande-beach.aspx

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Jellyfish

Welcome to the Vieques Forums GotoPuertoRicoooo.

Nice photos indeed.

Your information that jellyfish do not exist in the Bio Bay here is incorrect.

Level Contributor
537 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Jellyfish

Is there any safe product to use to avoid getting stung by jellyfish ?

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Jellyfish

A hammock.

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Jellyfish

I am sorry to be a smart aleck, but these posts are driving me a little crazy. I have been swimming in the water in Vieques for 17 years, and in the ocean my entire life. Getting stung by the occasional jelly fish, while rare, is part of the price you pay for swimming in warm water. There is nothing that reasonably can be done to avoid an invisible stinger; short of staying on land.

Jump in the water, get wet, embrace life, and the odd sting.

regards,

Jack

Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Jellyfish

Jack - Thanks for the wake-up call. I understand the sentiment. When I was 10 years old I was enveloped by a Man-Of-War on a beach called Manzanilla on the Island of Trinidad. I spent several days in a hospital bed but the thought of something like that happening again never occurred to me since I have been in tropical waters for the past 45 years without incident. I will be visiting Vieques with a group of teenagers and children for an experience I never want them to forget. Not being an alarmist. Just wanted to understand that specific exposure in the Bio-bay which according to you is minimal. i will take certain precautions for exposures that are "avoidable" and we will enjoy our visit in spite of that false sense of security. We will learn as we go and they will always remember Vieques.

Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Jellyfish

We just got back from Vieques this week. My boyfriend Steve did get stung by a jellyfish in the Bio Bay, but I believe it was Karma coming back to bite him. When we were swirling the water down our arms and through our fingers it looked like glistening diamonds were dripping all around us and he kiddingly commented, "Enjoy these diamonds as they are the only ones you are going to see from me". It was right then that he got stung. A little vinager supllied by Island Adventures (excellent tour by the way)did the trick followed by some anti itch creme. Trip report to follow.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Jellyfish

Hey, beachbabies...So, now does your husband feel a strong superstitual need to buy you diamonds? I'd milk that one!

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques