We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Hi I am new to posting to the forum but have been checking and searching all the topics for a little while now! It will be my boyfriend and I's second trip to Vieques we will be there in two weeks and are so excited to return to the island! The first time we came was 2 years ago we stayed at Martineau Bay (I was working for starwood at the time of the intial purchase and so i got the room for $69 a night totally worth it!) the property was beautiful and we had a great time but we are definately looking forward to getting more involved with the local scene this time. I've been doing a ton of research through this forum and the websites and we are so excited to check out everything we missed last time (and i feel like we missed alot because we hung out alot at the resort and also had gone with friends who were pretty boring! but this time it's just us!) A huge thanks has to go out to everyone who provides such great detailed information and reviews, they help so much!

ok so to get to my the base of my topic, it will be my boyfriend's bday while we are down there and since we will already be doing snorkeling, bio-bay, horseback riding, dogwalking for the spca... i am looking for kind of a "sporting event" to take him to or watch or something. is there at all like, a local baseball team that plays and people can watch or some other type of team sport that people can hang out at and watch so he can get his

sports/activity outing fix? :)

also this time we are staying at Maravilla/Traveler's palm, it looks really nice and we are excited to stay there and i've read some good feedback on here from a couple people, does anyone else have any info,things we should know before?

thanks so much in advance for help, if i think of any other questions that i don't think anybody already asked and had answered i will def post them here and i will also post our trip report after we get back home!!

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Cute little property as long as views are not important.

The local base ball teams are very active but I just don't know how to connect with them. If I figure it out I will post. A few years ago a young Continental , here on a job. wanting to play ball was enthusiastically embraced by the locals, so it is possible . The locals are beyond LOCO about baseball

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Dear am:

The local baseball team, I think, is called the Caribes. My brother law in law has one of their hats that he will not part with. The Caribes play at the park in Florida in-season. I would guess the season would be ongoing in a couple of weeks, but I do not know. The Caribes may have a web site.

On Sundays there are the cock fights at the arena up the street from Morales. I have always wanted to go, but have never been cleared for take-off. I am told it is brutal and bloody.

I am glad to hear you are heading back to Vieques. I think when you are staying at your house and out in the community every day, you will get a better sense of the island than your last visit. Good for you for volunteering at the humane society! Check out the tiny museum in Esperanza.

best wishes!

regards,

Jack

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Thank you Viequessiren and Jack for the info! Definately appreciated. i will do some research and see if i can find a site for the caribes!

NYC
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Bio bay is there, probably worth it to do it once but other than that, it's a swamp that glows at night really.

Snorkling is definitely worth it.

Horseback riding? you can try to rent someone's horse, or you can catch one of the wild horse and try to ride them but i don't believe there's an official horse riding business here.

one guy rents jetski's in esperenza. very hard to reach him though, the locals really do only work when they want to.

Anna the taxi driver and chipito, the car rental are the best bang for the buck in the island.

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Zeero

What a strange post!And not very accurate!

The poster did not ever ask if Bio Bay was worth it and you negativism is surprising. She is a return visitor and has decided that issue herself.

There ARE people who take groups horse back riding here,(call Penny at Sea Gate hotel)and why would you suggest it would be OK to saddle up a wild horse.

I won't address your other unnecessary remark except to say the folks who rent Jet Skis are continentals and they are only here in Season.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Fun Brothers (Jet Skis) was closed while we were in Esperanza last month. As Siren said, Sea Gate has guided horseback riding, as does Elizabeth at Esperanza (ph 787-435-0073. My husband and daughter went with both and you can't go wrong with either. Both experiences were totally different and wonderful in their own way. I love to ride, but the last time I rode a horse, I torn my ACL by throwing my right leg up over the saddle!!

NYC
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Siren

What a surprising response! We all know you are a local and strongly lean toward promoting business and tourism to vieques, but please don't be unnecessarily defensive! What was not accurate?

The BioBay is what it is and the OP has already decided to go. She will also form her own opinion of it and hopefully post in the forum/front page. If the forum was more active, it would be terrific if everyone chimed in on every aspect of her trip to offer insight!

Of course there is horseback riding! Much like jet skiing anyone can try to book by contacting someone and renting from him/her.

The fact that you took my words seriously about catching a WILD horse is not even worth spelling out, as other people will not be (posting/reading with an agenda) when reading that line. However, if one wants to try to break in a WILD horse, they certainly will have the opportunity to try.

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

"one guy rents jetski's in esperenza. very hard to reach him though, the locals really do only work when they want to."

Was this supposed to funny or Ironic also! He is not a local!

NYC
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

Siren!

you are supposed to be a "destination expert"! it's a "local" business! and any local will tell you he's the only guy around there that rents jet skis!

lol!

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for just a couple ?'s answered before our trip

I will leave it to others to decide your meaning, I find it offensive. I will not respond further.