We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

We're planning our trip for next summer, this time with the kiddos. They will be 5 and 8 at the time and we were hoping to take them on a kayak tour. Anyone know what the minimum age is?

Thanks!

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Dear Nneico:

You should contact the tour guide you plan to go with to find out if there is an age limit. Having said that, I have done the bio bay tour several times, and a few times with my children around the same age as yours. I can not stress enough that you should do the tour first with Island Adventures on the pontoon boat. The tour has to start when it is dark and unless your kids are olympian night owls, the kayaks will not be a pleasant experience for them. It is dark, you can get seperated, and once out of the kayak, it is not so easy for a kid to get back in. My kids are experienced kayakers, and I would not attempt it with them.

If you search this topic you will find Island Adventures is the gold standard for Bio bay tours for kids and those not able to kayak comfortably.

Please research your options before you decide.

However, this is just my opinion; consider it for what it is worth.

regards,

Jack

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Any kayak outfit that would even consider taking a 5 year old (or even 8) would be irresponsible. Island adventures is your only option and it is a great one. Listen to Jack!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

I agree with siren 100%. A 5-year old should not be taken into a kayak tour, let alone at night. The boat tour is just as fun and children love the ride.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

I don't know about the Vieques groups, but the age minimum of the kayak places in Fajardo is 6 yo.

As others stated, the other option is the Island Adventure pontoon boat trip. It is fun and effortless.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Thanks for all the replies...I finally got to speak to someone at Blue Caribe Kayaks...they told me no problem to take both the kids. Since I got several nay-saying replies, maybe I should clarify a little.

My husband and I did the tour with this company in June, so we're aware of the timing (we were back by about 9pm), darkness, mosquitoes, etc. Both my kids are troopers...hardy, outdoorsy, and very easy-going. I am intending for my husband and I to each paddle a double kayak with one kid in each. They will obviously have life jackets on, each will have a parent by their side at all times and both are familiar with jellyfish. I figure the worst case scenario is they don't want to get in the water, so they stay in the kayak and dip their hands and feet in. (?)

Is there some info I'm missing that makes this a bad idea? I mean no disrespect...just an honest question to consider all views.

Thanks again to all.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Also...if anyone has done this tour with kids, I'd love your opinions, ideas, cautions, etc!

New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Ive done the pontoon tour several times with my kids who are now 7 and 12 but were as young as 4 or 5 when we first went. The pontoon was fun because getting into the water with them was easy. They could do as much or as little as they wished. I think they also felt safer and more secure with a group but every kid is different. Good Luck!!!

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Why push it. I don't know all the personalities involved on any given day but, there have been irresponsible kayak leaders over the years,who have left guests behind, don;t trust the luck of the draw. take your little kids on a known entity. It is one thing to go out at night yourself when you know what you are capable of, you know you can get back and walk a few miles if need be. The pontoon boat is a fantastic experience why not introduce your kids to Bio bay that way. It is just safer!

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

Dear Nneico:

You have recieved advice from folks with plenty of experience, myself included. Do as you see fit.

My concern is that this is not the best way to expose your children to the bio bay. There is a better option for your kids that every poster has agreed upon.

I wish you and your children good luck. Please consider all of the above postings.

regards,

Jack

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Age Requirement to kayak Biobay?

That's the kind of info I was missing. I see your point about getting separated from the group, etc. I hadn't been interested in the boat trips, but will definitely look into that.

Thanks again for all the replies.