We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jobs in Vieques

South Carolina
4 posts
Save Topic
Jobs in Vieques

My wife and I are toying with the idea of relocating to Vieques and was wondering what the job outlook is for engineers and pediatricians?

We will be down sometime this summer and plan to do a little investigating but I thought this forum might be a good place to start.

Thanks

los angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jobs in Vieques

Job prospects were few and far between when I lived there this past Sept - March. If your wife gets a position in the hospital she will be the second doctor in the entire building, and at times maybe the only. Suffice to say her services could provide great assistance to a community in dire need. As for engineering, the guys at Vieques Builders seem active and of course there's the rangers, who make big bucks cleaning up the bomb debris. Hope this helps. Good luck. -

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jobs in Vieques

I heard Land Surveyors and Engineers are in demand, but think you need to be licensed in PR to practice. Just heresay though.

South Carolina
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jobs in Vieques

Is there a pediatrician on island? My wife currently works in a very rural area of South Carolina that only deals with Medicaid so since PR is part of the US wouldn't Medicaid still apply?

I am an engineer but have pretty much only done heavy / commercial construction work. My plan would be to build houses or commercial buildings on island. Since I am currently in the Charleston, SC area I can't see how the building standards would be much different.

JB

Infierno
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Jobs in Vieques

Firstly in SC you build in wood, in PR it is concrete all the way, secondly si no entiended lo que te escribo you will have problems dealing with local permitting authorities and government agencies who control and approve anything. Oh yeah, did I the Colegio de Ingenieros de Puerto Rico, the Engineers Union, are you a memeber, have you passed their licensing standards--if not, you are not an engineer in PR. You can work with a licensed one, but they'll do all the signing off.

Do your homework--

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jobs in Vieques

The unemployment rate is very high in Puerto Rico and higher yet on Vieques. You do not more there for a job. The only thing that seems to work is around tourism. Are you Bi-lingual?

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jobs in Vieques

Well, I'm not going to be a nay sayer, at least to you. It will be very easy to get your engineering licence, in Puerto Rico. Engineers are not a jealous bunch and have not put obstockles in the way of licencing, you just apply, prove credentials and your in. There is a very busy engineer on island and he speaks NO SPANISH. That is doable.Every building project must have a stamp of approval from a licenced engineer. Engineers also walk all projects through ARPE (planning board) which can be a mine field.

Medicine on the hand is much harder.I know other physicians who felt shut out. But boy do we need a pediatrician here. Most doctors commute from the main island.we don't even have an X-ray department at the moment, in the hospitral. Rosello who is running for governor, is a pediatrician, he may be resource. But I don't know the requirements only that it is tougher than the Engineer thing.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jobs in Vieques

Go down there and ask around.

You can probably find a job, but keeping in mind that you are on a small island with not much money flowing around, so your income will be lower but since life will become simpler you wont need as much to live on... au natural... no big malls to want to go waste money on, so if you cut out those everyday luxury expenses you may be fine.

But still, the best way is to go down to Vieques, stop by the hospital, ask, find that engineer, ask, ...

My bet is that if there is not permanent pediatrician in Vieques and there are definitely plenty kids there, you should have some opportunities.

And for the engineering... Vieques is having a boom and a lot of new things will probably be coming in to the island soon, I bet engineers will be on high demand in a few years there.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jobs in Vieques

oh, and Rossello isn't running for Governor! lol...

at least not officially (write ins...) but thats for another forum jajaja

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jobs in Vieques

OK a prominent EX govenor with interest! how that! But he is a pediatrician.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jobs in Vieques

I can't say specifically for Vieques, but I know for a fact that you will be shocked at the salaries in PR.

As RickyB said- it is much less than you are making now.

I didn't work for a year after moving here because I was shocked at the salary (less than I made 20 years ago!). But after a while I got bored at not working, and healthcare professionals are so in need, so I now work part time. As a pediatrician, your wife will need to know Spanish.

Of course licensing is needed here. But my tests all were available in English.

Yes, there is high unemployment here, but not for professionals. You both should be able to find something, even if it may be inconvenient.