We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio tour in Vieques

Florida
7 posts
Save Topic
Bio tour in Vieques

Everyones info has been really helpful! Thanks for sharing. We are going to San Juan next week and want to do a bio tour. Do you have to spend the night on the island somewhere to do it, or is there a tour company that will bring you back to Fajardo after the tour? What time can we expect to finish out in the bio bay?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able share!

Lafayette, In
Level Contributor
193 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

You would have to stay on the island. The tour starts well after the sun has set. Last week the first tour with Island Adventures was at 7:45pm. We happened to be on the 8:45 tour (each tour 1hr). There wouldn't be any way to get back to the main island the same evening. I understand there is a similar biobay near Fajardo. Check the lunar calendar, our guides heavily cautioned us not to plan a trip when there is too much moonlight. They don't want you to be disappointed. Good luck.

Seattle
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

Hi oh so( love the name)

I thought the same thing, that if I stayed on the mainland I'd have to stay overnight.

There is a company-East Island Excursions, I think is the correct name(definitely something similar) that is based out of Fajardo. There's a whole package deal thing (that I hear is a pretty good price if you add it all up & compare it to renting a place & staying overnight after the biobay) where they take you from Fajardo to Vieques, you have dinner on the beach, then you go do the biobay & when it's over, they take you back to Fajardo. Sorry, have no idea what time you can expect to be done. It will be later, though!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

i don't know about east island, but...

the dive shop at rio mar does one (probably for guests only, but i'm not sure, i'm only posting this because the time frame might help you).

now, the dive shop didn't do the whole thing....they coordinated with people on vieques & provided the transportation to fajardo & over to the island. same itinerary...dinner & the electric boats.

we were told we'd be back at the hotel at about midnight, so that would mean arriving at fajardo a bit after 11 i guess. we didn't get to do it - the people on vieques cancelled the only night we were able to do it, darn it all!

anyway....my GUESS to san juan would be somewhere around 1 a.m.

remember, you can't swim in the fajardo bio-bay, only kayak, so if you want to do the swimming, vieques is it.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

The most wonderful experience is to swim in that warm bathtub of fairy dust. Nothing compares to it. You really must experience the biobay on Vieques, if you can work it out and the lunar calendar is right.I arranged my time on Vieques based on the lunar calendar!!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

scubagirl, you are NOT making me feel better about missing our chance LOL

been wanting to do that for YEARS & never had the opportunity...this time it was so CLOSE & fell through.

however...the snorkeling on vieques was SO nice....my husband was making noises about going, just the two of us, & staying there for a short trip!

so might have another shot at it before we croak!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

We just did the tour out of Fajardo with East Island. When we got to Vieques, they turn you over to Island Adventures who take you into the bay.

I have not done my write up yet, but it was great. We couldn't do an over night on the island, so this was the way to go- it is really better than the Fajardo BioBay. We got back to Fajardo at 10:15pm.

The beginning of next week is good to go- here is a lunar calender:

puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/…

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

I understand the reason for doing the bio bay trip on a moonless night, but does the time of year matter? I would prefer Feb or March. Thank you

Lafayette, In
Level Contributor
193 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

We were there at the end of March. The guide told us there were about 500,000 plankton per gallon of water as opposed to 750,000 per gallon during warmer water temps. The water was about 76 to 78 degrees. He said that what we saw on a moonless night was very good but during the summer it would be much better. He also pointed out that the light pollution from some of the homes that face the bay somewhat diminishes the experience so we swam in the shadow of the pontoon boat.

I suppose the optimum conditions would on a moonless night with a few clouds to mask the starlight during a power outage caused by an excessively hot day in the middle of August. Good luck.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

Hi ohsolilywhite - not after PR.

East Wind - here's the link:

eastwindcats.com/pages/powercat_excursion1.h…

I have booked an excusion for Dec 08. I have recently asked if anyone can give info on this?

But East Wind takes you over around 3pm, you go to dinner and then the Bio-bay. All done on a high powered catarman. Cost is about $110.00 per person. But I found that not many people will allow a 1 night stay in Vieques. I did find one place with the help of folks on this site but can't remember the name. When figuring the extra cost of paying another hotel night on the island, we just figured $110.00 per person wasn't bad.

Hope that helps.

KarynNY

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bio tour in Vieques

Just so there's no confusion ...

The East Island Excursion to the biobay in Vieques departs from the Puerto del Rey marina in Fajardo around 5:00-5:30pm, depending on the time of year.

They return to Fajardo around 10:00-10:30pm that same night.

In addition to the biobay tour, you get dinner in Vieques and free rum drinks on their boat between Fajardo and Vieques.

You can read our review of the trip, and get contact info for East Island at puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/…