We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taino and manatees

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Taino and manatees

Yeah, I realize those two things are kinda unrelated. Sorry.

Are there any interesting Taino sites on Vieques? It'd be cool to see some petroglyphs or a batey while we're there.

I'd also love to hang out with some manatees, but it looks to me like I'll kinda have to just hope I get lucky. Any tips?

Thanks!

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taino and manatees

There are some places in Vieques where indian settlements are being investigated, but they are not open to the public. One of them is in La Hueca.

If you use the ferry, sometimes you can see manatees following or close to the boat. I have seen them - even a baby one- while snorkeling close to Isla de Ramos and the other cays, but that does not mean that you'll be abke to see them always....

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taino and manatees

Check-in at the Vieques Historical Conservation Trust in Esperanza. They can steer you to some petroglyphs.

Manatees are known to hang out near the mouth of Bio Bay, Green Beach area, and the old Navy Pier. We saw one this past summer while snorkeling off Gringo Beach next to Martineau Bay Resort.

Happy Hunting!

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taino and manatees

Check out the giant rocks on the south side of the island were the oldest remains in the Caribbean were found. Like the iceman in Italy a lone hunter/fisherman breathed his last under the shelter of that giant rock The site is marked by a bronze plaque. I'm sure other posters have more info on the site.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taino and manatees

Thanks guys, that's great info. SunMoon, we are taking the ferry - now I know to pay attention.

It sounds like they're rare enough that I shouldn't count on anything, though. Oh well.

I'll certainly check out the Historical Conservation Trust, and try to get to that south side site too.

5. Re: Taino and manatees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 17, 2009