We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
1 post
Save Topic
Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

I booked two jeeps from Vieques Car Rental for me and my family to get around Vieques during the week we were there at the end of December this year. We were there for a week and only one jeep was available upon our arrival, which I knew ahead of time. So I booked one jeep for a stretch of days that I counted as 7 and the other for 6. I've rented cars all over the world, including in Puerto Rico, and am used to policies by which a 'day' starts at the time you pick up the car and you're charged an additional day if you return the car more than a half hour or hour after that time on a subsequent day. Vieques Car Rental brought the first jeep to our villa with a contract that said it was an 8-day rental. The man who brought the jeep said he couldn't change the terms of the contract, so I wrote beneath my signature that I agreed to all of the terms except that I had contracted the jeep for 7 days, not 8. I later talked with Allen, the owner, who after much ado about this disagreement, agreed that it would be 7 days. The next day, when the second jeep was brought to the villa, the contract for the second jeep said it was for 7 days instead of 6. I, again, signed, noting that I was agreeing only to 6 days on this vehicle. Later, Allen appeared at the villa saying that he was taking his jeeps back because "no one dictates policy at my company--I do." He noted that I had originally said that I would be returning the jeeps at 3:00 in the afternoon on the final day and that any return after 12:00 was associated with an additional day's fee. when I pointed out that I was never informed of this policy, he told me it was on his web site. When I told him I didn't find him through a web site, he said it didn't matter. He said he was taking his cars back, would charge me for one day, and I could find a rental elsewhere. When I told him that he and I both knew that there were not more rentals available on the island, he said that wasn't his problem. I said, "Well, you have me over a barrel. Go ahead and charge me for 8 and 7 days each." He refused and asked for the keys back. I told him we had a signed contract and that I was holding him to it. He said he didn't have to abide by it and he would call the police. I told him that I thought calling the police was a fine idea and to please do so. He left at that point. What I didn't know was that he had additional keys and drivers and proceeded to take both cars. The owner of the villa offered to talk with him, but he was so rude and dishonest that i told her I wanted nothing more to do with him. I urge people to avoid Vieques Car Rental at all costs. We ended up hiring local drivers with a van that accommodated our party of 9 people whenever we needed it and saved a lot of money.

11. Re: Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:47 pm, July 29, 2013
Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

My apologies for my previous description of the Vieques Car Rental place of business. It was of little relevance to my post.

I agree with a previous poster about the idea of having a contract faxed ahead of time. I wish I had done so. I would also suggest being very specific about pick-up and drop-off times and procedures, what their policies are in the event a car becomes damaged or stuck, etc.

Spending a few moments on the phone determining finer points can probably help interested individuals determine business owners' attitudes toward customers.

As for someone else's comment about having a relaxed attitude, that goes both ways and makes life easier on both parties.

I know we really appreciated the courtesy displayed to us by our host at our casita, Casita Sea Glass, and we worked diligently to ensure it was very clean when we left it, making less work for our host.

13. Re: Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:47 pm, July 29, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

Again people a first time poster.

15. Re: Avoid Vieques Car Rental!!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 17, 2009