We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant Concerns

Philadelphia...
8 posts
Save Topic
Pregnant Concerns

Hi! My husband and I are considering a trip to Vieques in April and I will be 7 months pregnant at the time. I have just a couple concerns.

1. I know nothing about the hospitals in Vieques or Fajardo but was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are good and reliable in case of an emergency situation? My doctor basically left it up to me with the recommendation of staying within the US since I will be in my 3rd trimester.

2. Should I be worried about any fallout from the US Military's weapons testing that previously occurred on the island? Should I be careful with seafood or drinking water? I've read various things about this and think I and my baby-to-be will be ok but I was looking for others' input.

Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pregnant Concerns

Medical care in Puerto Rico is top notch. I am sorry to start a fight or anything but doctors in Puerto Rico are the best in the Caribbean, I'd dare say (with the notable exception of Cuba, believe it or not).

One thing is to say a public hospital which is understaffed and unorganized and another is to say a hotel like Pavia or Auxilio Mutuo with top notch facilities, high class professional care and the latest techonogy.

That being said... I wouldnt leave the country in such an advanced pregnancy. By that I mean that you should really go to Miami or something if you want to have a vacation and dont want Puerto Rico, but going to Aruba and maybe having your baby be born or complications... there are international issues to take in to consideration.

And I copy what others have said, you are changing a good place to have a bad thing happen for a complicated place to have a bad thing happen.

The same medical insurance and laws that apply in DC for you will apply in Puerto Rico, not so for Aruba.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pregnant Concerns

I'm not going to enter into the statistics debate, one more or one less is no difference... and evidently, the average varies from state to state. Have you seen all of them?????

On the other hand, the "fakes" were identified by the FBI, though that does not mean that they did not complete medical school. I wonder how many there are in the US, still undiscovered!

Regarding puertorricans that look for treatment in the US, most of them are upper class individuals that have the money and think that, they will get better service in the US, even when being treated by a unknown doctor. I have seen many of them return in a box to the island. Needless to say, many americans go to Europe for medical treatment & procedures and that does not mean that the US health system is deficient.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pregnant Concerns

Still, I would feel a lot easier in Vieques or anywhere in PR than is Aruba if those were my concerns. As someone posted, PR takes patients from all over the caribbean, inlcuding Aruba. Ples, medicine is practiced the same way, so if I was g=her doctor I'd feel also easier if I knew ahe was here rather then Aruba.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
14. Re: Pregnant Concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques