We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Progress?

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Progress?

One of the common themes mentioned when people say what they love or cherish about Vieques, is that it is quiet, and the way the Carribbean used to be. How do you feel about jet ski rentals and big-city style night clubs?

I see them as not a good thing for this island. Jet skis bring noise pollution and are not environmentally friendly in a place that seems to pride itslef on being eco-friendly.

Night clubs; no thanks.

Of course, these are only my opinions; what do all of you think?

Regards,

Jack

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Progress?

The US chain resorts need to go elsewhere. I think Vieques is important if the government allows ecotourism to be developed in a smart way like Costa Rica has been doing. The government also needs to keep an eye on especulative foreign investment trying to make Vieques another St thomas; a tourist generic ghetto displacing puerto ricans to the mainland in fajardo, we don't need.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Progress?

Most of the land area of Vieques is in the hands of the U.S. federal government's U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It is not open to commercial development. That was the stipulation when the Navy moved out. The land is to remain an undeveloped wildlife refuge. That will certainly help curtail development in Vieques.

33. Re: Progress?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:52 am, January 18, 2008
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Progress?

As to PRexplorer's previous in this thread, I for one, don't see it negative or positive. Rather it's just a statement of fact. Most of the old Navy land is in fact in the hands of either The Department of Interior or The Puerto Rico Dept of Natural Resources. I'm not here to defend him. He can do that for himself. What he posted is simply true.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
836 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Progress?

LaLanyny,

I don't at all get why you are being so rude to prexplorer and I think that it is completely uncalled for to insult his opinion that way. Disagree all you want, that is cool, but I think you crossed the line there.

Also, I fail to see that the post was "negative". And, we all should be free to give our opinions on the forum without getting insulted.

Martha

36. Re: Progress?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:52 am, January 18, 2008
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
836 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Progress?

I read his last 8 posts and don't see 1 "negative" post.

???????????? maybe you have him confused with someone else.

Either way, we all have the right to give advice without being insulted or getting ripped a new one.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Progress?

I missed prexplorers negative posts as well...

I wont comment on that argument because I havent seen anything wrong in what he has said.

prexplorer, you are correct, the area that was of the navy is now a wildlife reserve, thus limiting the area that can be built on, but not controling the effect of big business resort chains buying out the little land left to the locals.

39. Re: Progress?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques