We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding where to stay ---

nyc
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding where to stay ---

We are planning a trip in mid-March, but are really stuck on location of house. I am driving my family nuts and we can't seem to settle on the best location. We have rented a car and like the idea of going to a different beach every day. We will be traveling with three teenagers. We are fist time visitors and would love advice from experienced Vieques visitors .

Here are the choices...all the houses have ac (sad, but can't live without ac)

Bravos de Boston on the ocean - we've been told it's not a great swimming beach, but does have a pool. Price seems good for a three bedroom waterfront, there must be a catch. Like the idea of being on the water. We live in the city, worried that neighbors may be too close.

Hilltop House above Barrio Florida - awesome views, with pool.

Hillside House Destino - same as above.

House in Martineu (spelling) - a bit worried about resort construciton and being on grounds.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

The houses at Martineau are the absolute best in terms of facility, privacy and views. Also safe and with private beach (not the best, but, hey! private!)

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

If the BDB house is Pelican Villas then its OK. The pool is nice but is shared with the other 2 villas. Not as private as I would have liked. Also the beach there is not sandy but there is supposed to be a sandy beach down aways you just have to walk to it - we never did find it. Can't say anything about the other properties. We have a nice 3 bdrm with AC - but no pool...:(

Good Luck!

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

Dear MEB:

Coming from NYC, you will probably not like the closeness the homes in Bravos. My aunt looked forward to returning to the peace and quiet of Manhattan after a stay once(roosters!). I do not know the house in Destino, but I have been to the houses above Bo. Florida and to the homes at Martineau. Above Florida the views are spectacular to El Yunque and the big island. You may find the pool is not olympic sized, but the beach is a ten minute drive. Florida is in the middle of the island.

Martineau is likely one of the poshest choices. If construction noise is a concern, I would guess you would have very little to worry about. The roosters and coquis make more noise. There is a small beach, not the greatest, that you can use. Depending on the house, some in Martineau have pools. But, lets face it, you are in the carribean, go to the beach. You may want to think about snorkeling gear for the teenagers. If they are not beach people there is the fort, the museum, there is mountain biking they can do. Planning is key.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jack

nyc
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

Good thing we like roosters. Seems like the hills or Martineau are going to be the best choice. More advice welcome. I will look back on past posts on dinner and things to do. Is there a "must do" activity, besides Bio Bay?

Many thanks --- keep the suggestions coming.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
934 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

You might want to check into horseback riding, in the mountains, in town and on the beach. Check with Seagate for this activity. Vieques has wonderful snorkeling. You mentioned the Biobay. Hanging out at one of the Jimmy Buffett type places in Esperanza on the Malecon, such as Bananas. We went to every beach during the 2 nights we spent there in 2006 and are going back in July for a week on Culebra followed by a week on Vieques. There is also a small aquarium located at Esperanza, as well as out of the world flan, sold out of a woman's home in Esperanza. Ask anyone in Esperanza where the Flan Lady lives. Believe me, it will be worth your while and calories!! Have a wonderful trip.

Vicki in TN

St.Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

It has been a few years but y wife and I have been to Vieques twice. Both times we rented small homes on the internet. The first was on the north beach, nice to be on the water but I would not worry to much as even when one is way up in the hills in central Vieques it's almost a 15 minute drive to the beach. North beach is a bit rocky but once out in the water nice swimming, they say a "Ray" will tag along if you do any distance. In my youth I was a competitive swimmer but my wife "very" recreational swimmer who freaks if she knows we are in deep water. I kind of prefered the house we rented up in the hills, rule was chain the gate so the wild horses didn't come in and trash the lime trees. Mind you there are roosters, and they crow sunup, sundown, middle of the night, whenever. Still it was nice. I don't know if it's changed much and we were there off season but we were told Vieques is for the newly weds or nearly deads. We had a great time, up in the morning find someone to make us a "Cubano" for the beach and ice down something to drink. Cruise back to Espernaza (sp) depending if we were hungry might go to Coconuts for a great cheeseburger or just a cool drink. Ususally make a second beach, very good snorkeling on most beaches and most beaches are just outstanding in beauty, in off season might be just you and a few wild horses. My wife liked to go to Media Luna Beach which is a big kiddy pool but her swimming level is not very strong and the water is very calm. Not really a problem after some nice time at green or red or many other's that were just so cool even if I couldn't figure out what they were. So bottom line; in Vieques you are never too far from a beach, just remember north beaches tend to be rocky while the southern beaches has some of the finest sand and to be honest, some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere in the world. Please note, we have not been there for about 7 years but were there two years in a row and plan to return-we love Vieques.

Rick

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

Hi MEB,

Did you decide yet?

I liked staying in Bravos, and it is fun to watch people surf on that side of the island. Earplugs are good to bring for any light sleepers. As long as you have a car, you will be all set where ever you stay.

8. Re: Need help deciding where to stay ---

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, September 17, 2009