We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

Uva is located in Isabel Segunda next to the Blue Macaw and Cafe Media Luna (Vieques' new restaurant row).

** Uva **

Uva is a relative newcomer in Isabel Segunda. Most folks told us to stay away saying that it's good but overpriced - but we needed a nice place to eat on the north side on a Monday, and it was the only upscale joint that was open (I'm not a huge fan of Richard's Cafe or Taverna Espanol).

The dining room is very attractive - low lighting, beautiful windows, large monochrome prints/paintings and colorful decorative plates. There are columns tastfully decorated with corks from wine bottles and the music created a relaxing ambience.

The service was excellent - we had a small team of people checking in on us but they never over-did it.

The wine list was decent, but $42 for a Spanish Tempranillo (Vega Sindoa) that sells in stores for $11 seems like an excessive mark-up. The menu reads like a send-up of weird upscale menus; extremely long dish names with bizare combos of unexpected ingredients like blood sausage and ice cream.

I ended up with a fairly traditional salad with papaya strips, nuts and blue cheese - very tasty, but the greens were disappointingly pedestrian (this seems common to Vieques - all of the restaurants seem to serve romaine or similar greens).

I have an excellent filet of beef but I question the decision to pair it with a sea of creamy fettucine on the same plate and the $36 price tag (it was a small filet). My wife enjoyed her salmon and the dessert was good but not memorable (in other words, I can't remember what we had, but I remember liking it).

Overall I would recommend this place with the caveat that you are going to overpay. If you can resign yourself to that, sit back and enjoy - you should have a very nice meal even though not every dish hits the mark 100%.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Coqui Fire Cafe
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Caribbean, International
El Quenepo
$$$$, American, Caribbean, Contemporary
Next Course
$$$$, Caribbean, Seafood, International
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

Hi RamblinDan !! Congratulations., I think yours is an excellent review. You were lucky to find UVA opened on a monday evening specially now when the slow season start. I aggree 100% with everything you have stated, specially PRICE ! UVA is one of the most fine and expensive restaurants in Vieques.

Did you tried THE BLUE MACAW ?

Also MEDIA LUNA is under new management and reopening on Aug. 18, so we will see..

Regards,

HOC

seattle, WA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

You do not know what you are talking about. This resturant has the BEST ice cream WITH cheesecake that you will ever find on Vieques. Main entrees, Lobster Raviloi and Skirt Steak magnificant flavors with excellent usage of spices. Which is rare at ANY resturant around the world. Uva is the BEST upscale resturant on the island that combines caribean fusion tastes that will leave your mouth wanting more. The service is IMPECABLE, waiting to take care of your EVERY need and desire. Highly recommended by visitors from Seattle, WA as a MUST VISIT while in Vieques.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

I went there about a year ago after hearing all those great reviews. It is nice, but not what many say and nothing out of this world. The food is too expensive for the quality. I understand it is difficult to get some stuff like venison to Vieques, but, please... paying an arm and a leg for plaintains or rice and beans!!!!???? The service was mediocre and the setup is more suitable for a moderately priced restaurant. We waited a bit too much for our dinner and the wine was absurdly expensive. The owner is a very nice argentinian fellow and I wish him the best, but next time I go to Vieques, I will by-pass UVA and go for the really local yummy puertorrican cuisine at a much more reasonable price. I'm a quasi vegetarian and don't really care for buffalo or vennison in Vieques anyway...........

This is funny, though and not their fault: I had to use the restroom and had to wait like 15 minutes, because it was locked. There was someone inside which I gathered was sick or something, so I even had to tell a waiter to check what the problem was and there were 2 other ladies waiting to use the restroom. We ended up using the men's restroom.... Well after the some 20 minutes, a COUPLE!!! came out of the LADIE's restroom!!! Smiling and chucking.... went back to their table as if nothing had happened. At least three or four tables there knew what had happened. How tacky!!!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

We ate at Uva for our anniversary dinner a few years ago. The food was good, but I thought it was a bit over-priced. I had the Chilean sea bass. It was moist and tender, but the portion was very small. I cannot remember anything else that was on the plate. I cannot remember what my spouse had. I would not go back again.

VQS
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

The Blue Macaw is the best restaurant on island. It is not cheap.....but it is worth evey dollar you will spend.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

I would challenge that and say that Cafe Media Luna is by far the VERY best restaurant on the island! Although Blue Macaw would come in a distant second.

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

I always think it is a mistake to state something is absolutely the best ever. people have different tastes and perceive things differently. I've had very nice food at Uvas, and agree it is expensive. The Blue Macaw serves good, but not extraordinary food, personnally found it a bit heavy . My favorite food at the moment is at BBH where I think the chef is very innovative especially with sauces. But remember chefs in Vieques play musical restaurants often and where you enjoyed a great meal last year may have a completely new staff and menu this year.So take visitor reviews with a grain of salt. My Picks: I enjoy simple fare at Duffys Esperanza better than the food at Bananas.For a good piece of meat, go to the Crows nest. The Viequense has superior sandwiches in my opinion, to just about anywhere. The pasta Rasta (truck near entrance to camp garcia)makes a great (huge)cheap lunch to take to the beach. Try the Patio (in isabel)and el Resuelve (Out of town past the new hospital) for the best local food (the cooks at these two places are sisters) Resuelve has great hot wings also.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Esperanza Inn
Esperanza Inn
312 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Chicago
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

I agree with you in regards to "Diffrent strokes for different Folks" now with that being said my vote goes for Cafe Media Luna! By far the best on the beautiful island of Vieques.

9. Re: Vieques restaurants reviewed: Uva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, September 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques