We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques Ferry Reliability

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Vieques Ferry Reliability

Can anyone comment on the ferry's reliability? I need to catch a 6:30 AM ferry on a Saturday in order to catch an airplane at San Juan International Airport at noon. I am hoping five hours is enough time. Is it normally weather delays effecting ferry departures?

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

The ferry should get you to PR by 8:00am. Even if it's an hour late that is still 9:00am and you would have plenty of time still. You should have no problems.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

Thanks. I definitely feel more at ease now.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

It all depends on the time you are really leaving. In the best scenario, you are going to be on time. In the worst scenario, you have to take in consideration that the trip from Fajardo to the Airport will take 1 1/2 hrs. and that you need to be at the airport AT LEAST 2 hours before travel, pass the Agriculture check and all of the 911 checks. If you are leaving 12 - 1:00 and there is a delay at the ferry, I would say that you will be a little tight.

You have to consider also, which month are you talking about... or if it will be long weekend, which can make the difference with traffic.

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

The ride to the airport usually takes 45 minutes with the the new highway section. Go straight to the FDA and get your bags xrayed and then to check in. If you going with Delta or Jet Blue there is self check kiosks which are very fast. The only slow checkin airline is Ted.I can't imagine a real world scenario that you need to worry about.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

Sorry to differ from the previous forist...

The only "real world scenarios" that tracy 54b has to worry about are: the LMM Airport scenario, morning rush hour traffic scenario, Fajardo ports Authority scenario, and a 45 min. "flight" through the Fajardo Carolina roads. The new expressway might help a little BUT at 8:30 am, only if you have the express pass card. In addition, it will also depend on which type of transportation they will be using - car, taxi, public transportation. How tight she (he) will be, will depend on the time the flight home leaves.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

I think Tracy will make it to the plane, but you need to be aware of some of the delays. The ferry is usually on time that early in the morning.

I agree with SMS- there is no way it only takes 45 mins from Fajardo- SJU. Early on a Sat morning, it takes me 30 mins from Rio Grande to SJU, it takes another 35 minutes from Rio Grande to Fajardo. And she is going to be traveling a bit later- so I would guesstimate about 1.25- 1.5 hrs drive.

Just getting out of the ferry parking lot takes a while! If you have a taxi waiting, that will help, but if you are renting a car, it will take some time.

And SJU on a Saturday is busy.

To help speed you along, you can make sure your ride is waiting for you at the ferry terminal, plan your travel route and have exact change ($1.50) for the highway, go straight away to FDA check and check your bags, then return a rental car etc.

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

The ferry might sink, the oceans might rise, the taxi might breakdown, there could be an earthquake, you could get stuck in a parade, the toll collectors could go on strike, the baggage handlers might walkout, perhaps you'll get amnesia. There is always a chance things will go wrong but I think you have a excelllent chance for success.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

Why risk anything? Take a plane to the international airport or to Isla Grande Airport (it's a little cheaper), it is the painless way to get there and avoid the hassles.

9. Re: Vieques Ferry Reliability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques