We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping/ cheapest way to get around?

rochester, ny
2 posts
Save Topic
camping/ cheapest way to get around?

hola, i have a few questions:

- is sun bay the only camping on vieques? is sun bay safe to tent it up? will be belongings get stolen?

-are there any hostels on vieques?-

- will i be able to see a good portion of the island by bicycle? will i be able to rent a bike for more then 24 time span?

- if i land at 1pm at SJU will i make a ferry to vieques the same day? if not where do i stay for cheap in farjardo?

thanks olga

ft lauderdale fl
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: camping/ cheapest way to get around?

Hola,

Sun Bay is the only camping that I know of. We took the ferry to Vieques, set up camp, took the Bio Bay tour, walked down to the little store and cooked up some food when we got back. I felt safe and the few other campers were nice and we had a great night. The wild horses sleep by the campgrounds and were running on the beach when we woke up! It was beautiful.

There are no hostiles in Vieques. There are some cheap nice hotels though. Try seagate.com from about 40 a night.

The island is small but I think it would be hard to get to some of the most beautiful beaches without a jeep. Im sure you can rent a bike for a few days. Everyone is willing to work with you.

About the ferry I know the last one leaves at 8pm so you will be fine. Be warned that it costs about 60 dollars to get to Farjardo in a cab(try to find someone to split it with you)

The Farjardo inn is about 100 a night but is walking distance to the ferry.

Dont miss the Bio Bay!!!

Any more questions please ask. Have fun =)

Mentioned in this post
Sun Bay
Sun Bay
686 Reviews
Puerto Rico