We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs!!!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs!!!!!

My wife is a bug-o-phobe, and while I don't generally like them, they don't bother me near as much as she does. Apparently she's just sweeter.

We are heading down to Vieques in less than one week. We can't wait. I did a search and only found two posts about sand fleas, or noseeums as we've been told. My wife had a horrible time in SW Florida with these bugs, but I didn't get bit once. What is the story on Vieques? What can we do to prevent a repeat from happening again? Are there any bug sprays that work on these things? Also, what are the regulations for the biobay? Can you use bug spray there?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs!!!!!

I can't help you with the first part of your inquiry, but I can tell you that bug sprays are out of the question if you plan to swim in the biobay, because the chemicals kill the dinoflagellates. We went on the biobay tour & chose not to swim, but were not at all bothered by bugs of any kind.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs!!!!!

You're going to the Carribean. There will be bugs.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs!!!!!

get off the beach before 4pm and you will be fine

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs!!!!!

"while I don't generally like them, they don't bother me near as much as she does"

Hmm, you might try long pants or bug spray for the bugs, but I don't know what to tell you about the wife, lol!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs!!!!!

OMIGOD!!!! LA Fadeaway...You are making me laugh so hard!! Maybe I've been researching and scanning the internet too much, but I think that was THE funniest thing I've read lately!! My family is thinking that I've lost it!! (Laughing outloud alone in the office) :) Thanks for "catching" that line and "running with it"!! And Ifontaine, thanks for writing it!! You both have made my night a little more fun!! How sad is it to have that as my "fun", yet, alas, I am in Minnesota....:(

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
259 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs!!!!!

Pastiche, Did you go on the bio-bay boat recently? We heard they had a fire on the boat and it was out of service. Anyone have any info? Thanks

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs!!!!!

No, not recently -- last June.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs!!!!!

my fiancees mother has this recipe for something that repels sand fleas...i think it's Listerine and vinegar-you may want to google it, but i swear it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally works, and because there's a bit of alcohol in it (thanks to the Listerine) it cools when you spray it- (of course you also end up smelling like a minty salad) but better than then bitten up~

New Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs!!!!!

My wife had the same problem when we were down there last week. My daughter and I were unaffected (by the bugs that is), so sandfleas obviously have some preferences for whom they hit. She had the same problem when we were in St. John a few years back. She read that Skin-so-soft is supposedly effective against sandfleas (she plans to take it next time!!).

By the way I am told that sandflea bites itch far more and for much longer than mosquito-bites.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs!!!!!

Josh, Espy,

Thank you. We will look at Skin So Soft and I will google the Listerine concoction.

We are definitely looking forward to being there....just wondering if there is a way to beat the bites.

Thanks again.