We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Topic
Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

From the folks in El Yunque National Forest ...

Summer capacity management in El Yunque National Forest in July to include the pilot phase of a tram system

As part of the traffic control operation, when parking spaces in El Yunque are filled, the gate at La Coca Falls on Rd 191 at Km 8.1 will be closed until it is safe to allow additional traffic to enter the Forest. On peak visitation days, visitors are advised to arrive early in the day to be most successful in finding available parking spaces. The Forest will continue to use intelligent traffic systems including electronic signs and the AM radio station 1710 to continuously inform the public of updates related to parking capacity or Forest closures.

Traffic control operations will be in effect during holidays of July 4-7, July 13-15 and July 25-29. There will also be stand-by traffic control operations for other days during the summer to help manage parking capacity situations as needed.

Starting in July, the Forest Service intends to begin the pilot phase of a tram system. The Municipality of Rio Grande, will be operating a specially designed tram units to move visitors about Forest recreation areas during peak summer visitation days. At this time, the tram will circulate only between Yokahu Tower and Mt Britton trailhead in the main recreation area and are tentatively scheduled to operate from Wednesday to Sunday at no charge to visitors. While the tram is operating, other vehicles will be able to operate in the Forest. Testing of the tram units to determine operations and schedules continues during June.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

Thanks for the post. This still means that you will have to drive up to Yokahu Tower. There is not much parking there and if the park is closed off you can't get to the Tram anyway. Wouldn't a shuttle from the visitor center parking to some of the more popular trail heads make more sense?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

That was exactly what we thought ... I've asked for some insight into their decision to only operate the trams on upper 191.

Edited: 7:42 pm, June 24, 2013
Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

According to the El Yunque twitter account - they are running the first tram for passengers tomorrow Fri Jun 28 at 1:30pm at the Visitor Center https:/…350342640929222656

Chicago, Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

By your response you seem knowledgeable about Puerto Rico and flight... would you happen to know if my husband and I would be able to find vacation packages to puerto roco for under $1000 with flight and hotel? We go on vacation in a few days and I can't seem to find absolutely anything in our price range

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

I heard back from the NF folks .... The idea of the trams is to allow people to move around in the upper park of the park without having to move their cars. For example, if they want to go on Big Tree Trail and there is no parking at that trail head, they could park up at Palo Colorado and take the tram to Big Tree Trail (yes, I know they could hike La Mina trail from Palo Colorado ... just an example). The thought is that they can maximize parking on upper 191, without having people park illegally near the more popular spots. They may expand coverage of the trams in the future, depending on feedback.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

Ok, I get it. Park uphill. Take a downhill trail and get a ride back up. This is perfect for me :-)

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

Hope they have more than just a couple of trams and an organized way to get on, so folks can't jump the line as they do in OSJ :o)

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

Had the opportunity to attend the ribbon-cutting for the new El Yunque Tram System yesterday, and got to go on the inaugural tram ride on Road 191. These trams will help with the fact that, once you park your car on upper 191, you won't have to move it to visit other parts of the upper recreation area.

9. Re: Pilot Program for Tram System in El Yunque NF in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 01, 2014