We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

New Jersey
12 posts
Save Topic
Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Just curious if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to explore the rainforest. I've had friends that have wandered around themselves and then I've had other people tell me to definetly get a tour guide. And if tour guide is the way to go any suggestions on who to use? We've been to Puerto Rico a few times but usually stay in Rincon. This time we are going to spend a little time in the San Juan area and checking out the rainforest.

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Excellent! Thank you so much. One last question: how long does it take to drive from Old San Juan to El Yunque?

Level Contributor
8,646 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

As I recall one hour maybe a bit more...we stopped enroute for coffee in a little bakery close to the park...John will meet you there or pick up wherever...cost varies according to meeting spot. Seems like an easy drive.

Ft. Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

We've visited El Yunque twice, both times on our own. I highly recommend it, but I see no reason to pay a tour guide. The forest service has maps and tons of information about the trails online, and once you get there, everything is well-marked and the trails are easy to follow. Also, renting a car and driving in PR is very safe--not much different than anywhere in the U.S.; just use your common sense.

My best TIPS are these: 1) wear sturdy, closed-toed shoes, 2) bring a water bottle & a snack, 3) take a rainjacket, as the weather can change quickly, 3b) bring a towel for the car (see #3!), 4) don't forget your camera, and 5) GO EARLY... the crowds show up around 10 or 11, but the park opens at 7:30 (though bathrooms not til 9!). The forest trails and waterfalls are much more enjoyable when it's just you and the coquis! Finally, consider planning for more than one day; you'll want to go back! :)

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Is it possible for senior citizens who can no longer hike to enjoy el Yunque - or is a long uphill walk necessary for all the highlights?

seattle
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Rent a car $28/day, cheaper than taxi

Best to limit use of public buses in major cities.

16. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 17, 2013