We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

New Jersey
12 posts
Save Topic
Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Just curious if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to explore the rainforest. I've had friends that have wandered around themselves and then I've had other people tell me to definetly get a tour guide. And if tour guide is the way to go any suggestions on who to use? We've been to Puerto Rico a few times but usually stay in Rincon. This time we are going to spend a little time in the San Juan area and checking out the rainforest.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

I sent you a pm

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

You can absolutely do it on your own. That way you can go where you want, when you want....not on a tour schedule.

On N191 (the Rio Grande entrance) is best for tourists- there are about 12 well marked trails you can use. The visitor centers have people there to help you plan the best route and answer any questions.

There are also some days where there is a short tour, explaining about the forest etc.

You can check our PR tourism blog for info and maps and trail reviews:

puertoricodaytrips.com/el-yunque-overview/

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

My husband and I will be going to San Juan in March and would love to go to El Yunque for a day trip. We'd rather do the trip independently instead of going through an organized tour through the hotel. Is there public transportation or should we rent a car for the day?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Rent a car. Public transportation (including taxis) cannot go into the National Forest.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

If this is your first time in PR I will strongly suggest to get a tour, unless you know someone in the island so you can go on your own. A tour guide is safer.

For more information please visit this website. Or you can always check with the hotels close to the area.

caribbeanbusinesspr.com/magman/…index.html

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

http://elyunque.com/islandwalkers.htm

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Thank you. I'll take a look at this site. Are there other tour guides/

agencies you recommend for a day trip to the rainforest? We're staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

http://puertoricotourservices.com/

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

Natural Wonders PR with Raul Rosado does a nice tour of some of the less frequented parts of El Yunque. Check Facebook for his company.

Level Contributor
7,882 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to explore El Yunque Rainforest?

We went with John Island Walkers as referenced above. He is extremely knowledgable and we got much more out of the visit than just wandering around. Either way its worth the trip.