We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bioluminescent bay

albany, georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
bioluminescent bay

How far from the Westin Rio Mar is the bioluminescent bay? Is it better to rent a car or go via tour? Would it be a day trip or something we could do for awhile then return to the hotel?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bioluminescent bay

Renting a car all depends on whether you are a party of one or many. The more there are of you in your party the cheaper it is to rent a car, however if you dont want to be bothered with renting a car just for this activity then the hotel can provide you with round trip transfers to and from the tour. They can also provide you with the tour with no transportation, so really the choice is yours. Their tours are provided thru a very professional and safety conscious operator that provides a great time in the biobay. Remember to check your dates due to the full moon cycle as this may hamper your viewing results of the bioluminescence.

Have fun.

albany, georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bioluminescent bay

Thanks! We are five, so it may be better to rent a car. Appreciate the info!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bioluminescent bay

Assuming you're going to the biobay at Fajardo it's probably 10-20 miles from the Westin. We went on December 30. Estimate there were 3-4 tour operators all running at the same time, some taking two different excursions in the same evening. Our group did have a shuttle bus from the Westin join us. Cost was $45 a person for the kayak tour and I must tell you I didn't enjoy it. It is a unique phenomena but most of the trip was focused on keeping up with the other kayaks in our group. Got fairly wet sitting in the puddle that formed in my seat in the kayak. Listened to appoximately 15 min lecture on the history of the area and the science behind the bioluminescene. Then turned around and kayak'd back in the dark. We stayed in Luquillo, took a 6p tour. Traveled by rental car to the take off point. We had been there earlier in the week in the daylight. Could be hard to find in the dark. Got back to the take out around 8p. Back to Luquillo by 9p. Good luck!

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bioluminescent bay

For your best bet go with Las Tortugas Adventures 787-637-8356 www.kayak-pr.com

They only take about 10 people per group and are the first ones out to the bay (5:30pm)this time of year. They only do cruise ship passengers on Tuesday nights, so the other nights the groups will be 10 or less. You should be done by 7:30pm so that still leaves the rest of the night. There are several good seafood restaurants in the Las Croabas area so you can stop off for dinner and drinks on the way home. This is a boating activity so you will get wet, and the best part is to actually swim in the water. If you have trouble keeping up just let your guide know and they will hook a rope to your kayak and tow you back in...No Problem. I see the previous post stated he did not have a good time, and that's really too bad as it is an experience not to be missed. Oh the biobay in Fajardo is about 18 miles from the Westin.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bioluminescent bay

Its unfortunate that the previous post talks about not enjoying the kayak trip, however do not let this deter you from going on this unique experience. There are many companies that offer this tour into the biobay, I would think that perhaps the post from zaney is a little prejudiced because the person may be personally linked to the company. So keep yourself open to all the tour companies that operate there and choose which best suits your needs. These are the following companies based on an article from CNN News in reference to the biobay.

Yokuhu Tours

Las Tortugas

EcoXcursion Aquatica

The others there are Island Kayaks and Kayak Rental.

Have fun in Puerto Rico

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bioluminescent bay

Sorry Boricua but I am not linked with or do not work at Las Tortugas, this is just based on my personal experience along with several of our friends and family who have gone out with Las Tortugas after trying some of the other companies. We much prefer the earlier start and smaller groups where we get much better personal attention and are not running into a million other kayakers when leaving the bay. Just my opinion.

Chicago,IL
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bioluminescent bay

We just got back from PR. Took the

Tortugus tour of the bay. It was great. And take the advice to get in and swim--it makes the experience 100%.

rollin'on
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bioluminescent bay

Gen B

The one they note as most brilliant is on Vieques, but number two is in Fajardo. This is an evening event and best seen just after sunset and before the moonrise, or during rain. Read here- http://www.golden-heron.com/biotrips.html; and note the Moon schedule.

About driving. You won't be in Kansas (or Georgia) anymore. The rule that seems to be a common thread is: "I go--you stop, or we crash." I have over 5000 miles on this Island in 10 trips over the last two years, all without incident. Only close calls.

You could call and hire a public car (van), (carros pulicos) for about $55 each way.

I am now planning our 12-day vacation booked for May 2006.

Jim

Iowa
Level Contributor
836 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bioluminescent bay

save

10. Re: bioluminescent bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 18, 2009