We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for our El Yunque visit...

Houston
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for our El Yunque visit...

Hi,

We (my husband and I, and our 7-year old twins) are planning on spending half a day (we're going to use a tour guide) at the rainforest and weren't sure what all we needed to bring, aside from the obvious bottled water and bug spray. Will we need to pack a lunch or are there places there to eat? Also, if we plan on swimming, are there places to change into our suits or should we have them on under our clothes? I can't think of anything else right now but any advice would sure be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for our El Yunque visit...

There are 3 places to purchase food along Road 191 up in the El Yunque National Forest proper (beyond El Portal).

Personally, we like to pack sandwiches and have a picnic beside La Mina River (down behind Palo Colorado visitor center) or up at the peak of El Yunque (or La Roca for the most fantastic view).

We hardly ever use bug spray.

Bring water, trail mix or granola bars, a camera, and consider a rain poncho if you're opposed to getting wet in a downpour. Bring towels if you plan on swimming.

Wear sturdy shoes ... no flip-flops or high-heels (we've seen it!). You'll need at least Crocs or sneakers. Hiking shoes are not really necessary (at least in the places you'll encounter in only a 1/2 day visit).

Consider shoes that you don't mind getting wet. The bottoms of the pools under the waterfalls are rock ... many of them big and sharp. Not sand like at the beach.

Places to change? There are bathrooms at the Palo Colorado visitor center. I don't think there are any at the trailhead for Big Tree Trail.

Otherwise, wait until you get to the falls and pick your favorite big rock or tree to change behind. You won't be the only one.

You can find lots more helpful DIY information on El Yunque National Forest (including driving directions, trail descriptions and a trail map) in our vacation guide -- puertoricodaytrips.com/el-yunque-overview/

Hope this helps!

2. Re: Tips for our El Yunque visit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 22, 2009