We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque with elders

NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque with elders

Going to PR this weekend, and would like to tour El Yunque. I will be traveling with two elderly people (although in very good shape) and wanted to see what the best way to see the rainforest is. Should we rent a car and drive there ourselves, etc. or would a tour be best? And if anyone can recommend tour guides, etc. that would be great.

Thank you!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque with elders

Rent a car and drive. The best way to do it. There are a few little stands for food and trinkets along the way. There are several places that you can pull off and enjoy the view. La Coca fals is right on the side of the highway. There are 2 parking lots one before and one after. Short walk to the falls. If you are stay near Isla Verde you can take 187 the coast road. It will eventually meet back up with rt3 just a couple miles from the road leading to The caribbean national forest. You can also stop a liquillo beach. Just a couple buck to park, but a wonderful beach, far better tha any in San Juan. They have full facilities, Food stand, a little shop and a bar. Have a pnia Colada on the beach.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque with elders

PR Bob is right; rent a car and drive the 187. Stop at kiosk Boricua for (I know I'm going to butcher it) accapurria, which is mashed plantains filled with fish or meet and then fried. DELICIOUS!

In the rainfores there is a tower just above coca falls. You can go up to the top (98 shallow, circular steps) and have a tremendous view of Luquillo beach and Fajardo/Las Croabas. Those who can't climb still get an amazing view.

You stop at the visitor's center for a short video narrated by Jimmy Smits and then you're given a map and you're on your way. You don't need a guide.

Have a great time - we did!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque with elders

Yes, I would rent a car and do it yourselves- that way you can do as much or as little as they are able to do. Just ask at the ranger station and they can tell you the easier/ shorter walks.

I suggest riding up the road to the top (stopping at the waterfall and tower previously mentioned ) and bring a lunch. Then have lunch in the picnic pavilions along the river- very peaceful and right there in the midst of it all- not much walking involved.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Yunque with elders

If they are fit or in good shape, they'll be ok. Just make sure you bring either sneakers or hiking boots (or any shoe with GOOD traction!)

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: El Yunque with elders

This is sound advice if they're going to go on the trails. We saw LOTS of older people in the forest, but too many had only flip flop sandals and were unprepared for the terain.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Yunque with elders

I had on sneakers, but the traction must not have been very good. If my husband wasn't there to hold on to, I would have definitely slipped in some areas.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Yunque with elders

You have three options:

1. Rent a car,

2. Join a tour,

3. Go to the forest with a naturalist guide.

You can contact Forest Service at (787) 888-1880 for authorized outfitters.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: El Yunque with elders

Renting a car is your best option. Trails are marked with difficulty ratings. If they are marked moderate to hard they are telling the truth. Going to the top observation towers is not really an option for elderly people. Most middle age people that are out of shape start the hike but do not make it. We are in good shape and 40 years old but after hiking to top of the world we could not walk for 2 days. Very sore! Check sign for length of trail and difficulty before proceeding.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: El Yunque with elders

I don't know, PatRat,

My husband and I are 41 and 45 respectively and we had no trouble with neither the big tree trail nor the tower just south of there. On the contrary, we wished we could have taken the trail to Mt. Britton and that top of El Yunque.

jersey City
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: El Yunque with elders

Renting a car is definitely the best option. One more thing though...bring your Ponchos!!!! It is a rainforest.