We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ponce day trip from OSJ

Which Ponce hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ponce day trip from OSJ

My friend and I are taking a girls trip to PR in October for a week. We would like to go to Ponce to see the sights, etc...is renting a car and heading down from OSJ an ok idea? Or should we go with some sort of tour? Is Ponce safe for two gals in their 30's to be for the day? Any tips on what to do? My friend does speak spanish (her mom is puerto rican), so I'm not worried about the actual drive and getting around if we need to ask for directions. Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponce day trip from OSJ

It is a long drive from OSJ to Ponce. We stayed In Rincon, but took a trek to Caguas to meet up with Ecoquest to do a full day San Salvador Rainforest adventure. (Highly recommended) We drove south from Rincon, through Ponce and up to Caguas which is about 30 minutes out of SJ. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to our destination. Heading back, it was about 1 1/2 hours to Ponce. That would put it over 2 hours (in good traffic) to get from SJ to Ponce. I'm not sure a two hour (minimum) drive one way is worth it to tour Ponce after driving through......

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponce day trip from OSJ

The ride from OSJ to Ponce is about an hour and a half if you take your time and do not encounter any traffic congestion in San Juan. I've driven that route numerous times.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponce day trip from OSJ

The trip should take about an hour and a half, outside of rush hour. It is an easy drive, mostly highway. You see very different scenery on the way there. It goes from city, to green, to mountains, then dry and then water. Many beautiful places to see in Ponce and a great art museum. You can also stop by Guavate for pork roast. Completely safe to walk around.

4. Re: Ponce day trip from OSJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2014